The Chronicle's coverage of Coach K's retirement

<p>Duke men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski.</p>

Duke men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Duke men's basketball's Mike Krzyzewski will retire after the 2021-22 season.

Keep up with our coverage of the announcement, including columns from our sports writers and reactions from the community.

Jon Scheyer to be Krzyzewski's successor

Since 2013, Scheyer has been part of the Blue Devil brain trust, initially as a special assistant. Over time, though, the former Duke floor general and captain was elevated by Krzyzewski, first to full-time assistant in 2014 and then to associate head coach in 2018. 

How the sports world is reacting

Needless to say, Coach K has had a great impact on many players, coaches and more in his time as one of the faces of college basketball. Those same people have taken to social media Wednesday, reminding all of us that while his time at Duke and in the sport is coming to an end, K's impact, legacy and influence are truly everlasting.

After the announcement of Coach K's retirement after this upcoming season, the sports world was quick to voice its praise over the legendary head coach's career.

A walk down memory lane

Follow along on Twitter as we highlight some of the greatest moments from Coach K's time at Duke, including national championships, Olympic golds and becoming the winningest coach in college basketball history: 

‘A storied champion’: Students, alumni react

Members of the Duke community expressed shock and sadness after hearing the announcement, but many were grateful they had—and still have—the chance to see Coach K in action.

Column: The timing of Coach K's retirement sets replacement Jon Scheyer up for success

Barring a national championship in this next season, the mere timing of Krzyzewski’s announcement is something that Blue Devil fans should be thanking him for, writes Jake Piazza, Volume 117 sports editor.

Coach K's iconic moments in print

From his appointment as Duke men's basketball head coach to his ACC Championship win in 2019, The Chronicle has been there to document all of Coach K's successes. Take a look at the iconic Chronicle print edition featuring the victories and milestones of the most winningest basketball coach in history.

Five golden rings
Chronicle archives
The most recent national title for Duke men's basketball was just a short six years ago. The star-studded Blue Devil roster contained five future NBA talents. Tyus Jones went off for 23 points in an unforgettable championship game on April 6, 2015.

Column: Thanks to a willingness to change, Coach K built an iconic legacy

The shock of Mike Krzyzewski announcing that the 2021-22 season would be his last underlies the more nuanced agenda—comprehending a legacy that, at face value, is incomprehensible, writes Max Rego, Volume 117 sports managing editor.

Column: Coach K trusts Jon Scheyer to continue the Duke men's basketball tradition, and so should we

When it comes to the Duke men’s basketball empire that Krzyzewski has built, it’s all about the culture. For four years as a player and eight as an assistant, Scheyer learned that culture better than anyone. And after all that, Krzyzewski felt that his 2010 captain was the best man to succeed him, writes Evan Kolin, Volume 116 sports editor.

Live coverage of Coach K's press conference

Our sports writers covered Coach K's press conference this morning live on Twitter. Read about K's thoughts on what comes next and what he's learned as Duke's head coach.

Coach K held his retirement press conference in Cameron Indoor Stadium Thursday.&nbsp;
Coach K held his retirement press conference in Cameron Indoor Stadium Thursday. 

How 'Everytime We Touch' became Duke's unofficial anthem

You may have noticed that Coach K was dancing to 'Everytime We Touch' by Cascada as he entered Cameron Indoor this morning for his press conference. Why the song choice? It's been a novelty among Cameron Crazies for years.

'How lucky are we': Coach K reflects on his career in retirement press conference

Through all the awards and record lists, Coach K's proudest accomplishments are his family and The Brotherhood, both of which will last well after his coaching career ends.

'Backed up with belief': Coach K thanks all those who believed in him throughout his life and career

Along every step of the legendary head coach's journey, there have been people who believed in him. From coaches and teachers in high school to the athletic director who hired him, Coach K shared stories of many of the foundational people throughout his life.

Coach K will retire at the end of the 2021-22 season.

'Always gonna show up': Jon Scheyer introduced in press conference as Coach K's successor

Head-coach-in-waiting Jon Scheyer took to the podium Friday afternoon to give his official introduction as the man who will eventually follow Coach K after the 2021-22 season. 

Player to assistant to next head coach: A look into Jon Scheyer's path to becoming Coach K's successor

Scheyer's professional playing career did not go as planned, but it has led him to the both expected and unexpected outcome of becoming Duke's next head coach. 

PODCAST: End of an Era

Cameron Chronicles host Shane Smith, along with fellow men's basketball beat writers Evan Kolin and Max Rego, react to the announcement that Krzyzewski will retire after next season. They run through Coach K's career, including his first few seasons at Duke, his greatest accomplishments and more.  

This page will continue to be updated as more content becomes available. Check back soon.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle's coverage of Coach K's retirement” on social media.