Duke receives Congressional Resolution commemorating Centennial

Duke received a Congressional Resolution commemorating its Centennial Tuesday, recognizing the University’s accomplishments throughout the past 100 years, according to an announcement from Duke Today.

H. Res. 1100 “celebrates the 100th anniversary of Duke University, recognizes the University’s accomplishments over the past century and encourages North Carolina’s citizens to participate in activities marking this historic occasion.”

U.S. Rep. Valerie Foushee of North Carolina’s 4th Congressional District visited Duke to present the resolution to President Vincent Price and Provost Alec Gallimore. The resolution was passed March 21 by the Committee on Education and the Workforce and has since been entered into the Congressional Record.

"I’m grateful to Representative Foushee and her Congressional colleagues for recognizing Duke University’s Centennial through this resolution,” Price wrote in an email to The Chronicle. “It is a tribute to the contributions and achievements of so many people and a testament to the progress of Durham and of North Carolina over the past century. We look forward to a second century of continued shared success."

The resolution serves as a timeline for major events at Duke since its founding on December 11, 1924, citing accomplishments that mark the University’s “standard of excellence.” Events mentioned include the opening of Duke University Hospital in 1930, desegregation in 1961 and “legendary coach” Mike Krzyzewski leading Duke men’s basketball to five national championships.

Duke kicked off its Centennial celebrations in January, hosting members of the University community in Cameron Indoor Stadium for the first in a series of events commemorating the 100th anniversary of Trinity College becoming Duke University.

Abby Spiller profile
Abby Spiller | Editor-in-Chief

Abby Spiller is a Trinity sophomore and editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke receives Congressional Resolution commemorating Centennial” on social media.