Merchants on Points renamed to Devil Delivery

There’s nothing more exciting than ordering in copious amounts of food to your dorm past 9 p.m., all on food points. But the current name for the program at Duke—Merchants on Points—is set to change.

At its Wednesday meeting, the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee voted to rename Merchants on Points to Devil Delivery. DUSDAC came up with the name from a contest in which Duke students submitted over 100 responses. Four separate people suggested “Devil Delivery,” while 11 suggested “Devil’s Delivery.”

“Iterations of that name were very popular,” said DUSDAC Co-Chair Annie Roberts, a junior. 

The top prize for the naming contest will be shared among the four winners who proposed the exact name. Aris Marton, associate director of retail operations for Duke Dining, noted that “the 11 close runner-ups will receive prizes as well.”

Some of the other suggested names were “Devilivery,” “Devil Drip,” “Study Munchies” and “Duke Sustenance League.” The potential picks were narrowed down to “Devileats” and “Devil Delivery,” but DUSDAC voted to eliminate “Devileats” due to concern that it sounded too much like Uber Eats. 

Another popular option, “Devil Dash,” was voted against because it sounded too much like DoorDash, mentioned DUSDAC Co-Chair Allie Rauch, a senior. 

In other business:

Robert Coffey, executive director of dining services, shared that DUSDAC will soon “start the planning process and designing for a potential Sprout and Farmstead renovation this summer.” The addition of a Mediterranean restaurant is another possibility for this renovation. 

Of the 34 DUSDAC applicants for this year, the committee plans to accept 10 new members. The committee is “looking to add a diversity of perspectives and experiences to DUSDAC” with the new members, Roberts explained. 

Marton also noted that app-based ordering is coming soon to The Loop. This will allow students to use food points or FLEX dollars to pay through the app for pre-purchase and pick up, she said.

DUSDAC also discussed concerns about the Duke food trucks, which run Monday through Thursday from 5:00 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Edens Quad or at the 300 Swift apartment complex. Members expressed an interest in changing the time period to six to eight p.m. to better accommodate students’ schedules more. 

“I will work diligently to try to get the times changed for next week,” Marton said. 

Paige Carlisle profile
Paige Carlisle

Paige Carlisle is a Trinity senior and a staff reporter for The Chronicle.

Share and discuss “Merchants on Points renamed to Devil Delivery” on social media.