Dining considers Quickly Tea House, Ginger and Soy to fill Bryan Center spot

Since Red Mango took its smoothies to Wilson Recreation Center last spring, a smoothie-cafe-sized hole has haunted the Bryan Center. What could take its place?

A kosher deli, a bubble tea vendor? 

Aris Marton, associate director of retail operations for Dining, gave an update on the status of the empty space at the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee's meeting Wednesday.

"We have to vet at least three potential operators for the space," Marton said. 

Two vendors have been vetted so far—Quickly Tea House and Ginger and Soy. Ginger and Soy's management team will speak to the committee at their meeting April 17.

Earlier in the academic year, the committee was considering introducing a kosher deli option to the space. However, according to DUSDAC Co-Chair Ethan Kwok, a senior, adapting the Bryan Center's HVAC system to a deli's needs would be very expensive. 

"Do not count on it anytime soon," committee member Allie Rauch, a junior, said. 

The committee also discussed funding for its upcoming Food Truck Rodeo, which is currently set to be less than it requested. 

DUSDAC applied to the Student Organization Financing Committee for $8000 for an estimated 800 people to attend the Rodeo and receive $10 worth of tickets each to spend. However, the committee was allotted $1600 for food. 

According to SOFC guidelines, $2 per person is the designated allotment for funding snacks and refreshments at an event.

DUSDAC Co-Chair Aryaman Gupta, a junior, explained that $2 per person would result in a net loss for the food trucks. The committee said it requires at least $3 per person to cover the estimated costs. 

"We are looking to increase the per-person allocation," Gupta said. 

Kwok said the committee will reapply for SOFC funding, but the event will take place as scheduled regardless of the results. 

The goal of the event is to involve the student body in deciding which vendor will operate near the new Hollows dormitory next year, the committee emphasized. Rauch also noted that the event will expose students to food trucks in the local Durham area. Kwok said that without proper funding, students will not be able to sample all three trucks and offer feedback on which one they like best. 

"Eight [people] cannot determine this," Kwok said. 

Share and discuss “Dining considers Quickly Tea House, Ginger and Soy to fill Bryan Center spot” on social media.