Could Chapel Hill favorite Mediterranean Deli be added to Merchants on Points?

It’s 10 p.m. and you’re nearly out of options for food. Do you know where to go? 

Many Duke students turn to Merchants on Points as a way to order late-night food directly to their dorms.

There are currently nine vendors for Merchants On Points, and the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee is in talks to add Mediteranean Deli, a popular Chapel Hill dining spot, as a 10th option. During the meeting, Mediterranean Deli representatives brought out a spread of food for DUSDAC members to sample. 

Rauch suggested that although Mediterranean Deli could come to Duke as part of Merchants on Points, it could also fill the Chef’s Kitchen space upstairs in the Brodhead Center, which currently houses rotating pop-up restaurants. 

“Right now, we don’t know very much,” said DUSDAC Co-Chair Allie Rauch, a senior. 

Nearby in Chapel Hill, Mediterreanean Deli already has a location for University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill students in Lenoir Hall, where it ranks second in on-campus sales. 

Mediterranean Deli’s prepared foods include a variety of vegan, kosher and gluten-free options, including from their gluten-free bakery. All of their food is halal, more than half of their options are vegan and all of their seafood is kosher.

DUSDAC Co-Chair Annie Roberts, a junior, appreciated Mediterranean Deli’s “very fresh and very healthy” options.

While Mediterranean kitchen has been on UNC campus for the last 28 years, it has also come to Duke’s campus as catering during Blue Devil Days, for department events and for athlete training tables. 

In other business:

Duke Dining is also unveiling Netnutrition, a food app to help navigate the options around Duke’s campus. It is available now in a soft rollout. The app allows people to filter Duke dining options for nutrition needs, such as being gluten-free or vegan.

There will also be an option to order food from on campus vendors using the app, which will be tested soon at The Loop. Students can pay with food points, flex points, Apple Wallet or credit card.

“We are rolling it out at The Loop, and if all goes well, we will be rolling it out next week,” said Aris Marton, associate director of retail operations at Duke Dining.

Paige Carlisle profile
Paige Carlisle

Paige Carlisle is a Trinity senior and a staff reporter for The Chronicle.

Share and discuss “Could Chapel Hill favorite Mediterranean Deli be added to Merchants on Points?” on social media.