Senior Year: 2023-2024

The Class of 2024’s senior year saw Duke celebrating its 100th year, demonstrations over the Israel-Hamas war and the effects of the Supreme Court’s decision to strike affirmative action in higher-education.

Duke rose to No. 7 in the U.S. News and World Report’s Best National Colleges Ranking, the highest in the University’s history. During the admissions cycle, Duke saw a 28% increase in Early Decision applicants and accepted a record low 12.9%. In the Regular Decision round, Duke admitted another record low 4.1% of applicants, resulting in an overall acceptance rate of 5.1% for the Class of 2028.

In January, Duke kicked off its centennial celebrations in Cameron Indoor Stadium, hosting student dance groups, former men’s basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski and actor Ken Jeong, Trinity ‘90. The University also received a $100 million award from the Duke Endowment, which will be used to provide financial aid for students from the Carolinas and underrepresented backgrounds; to increase student support, community engagement and experiential learning initiatives; and to remodel the Reuben-Cooke building. The award is the single largest in Duke’s history.

Following the Oct. 7 attacks in southern Israel, protests erupted on college campuses across the country. At Duke, pro-Israel vigils honored the victims of the attacks and demanded a return of the hostages. Meanwhile, pro-Palestinian protesters also demanded that Duke call for a cease-fire and that it divest from its holdings in Israel. In an effort to encourage civil discourse, Provost Alec Gallimore launched the Provost’s Initiative on the Middle East, a year-long initiative hosting an array of experts to discuss the conflict in the region.

In November, Durham County hosted its municipal general election, which decided Durham’s mayor, Leonardo Williams, and three new City Council members: Javiera Caballero, Nate Baker and Carl Rist. Williams gave his inaugural State of City address in April, emphasizing the importance of investing in education in Durham. In the March 5 primary election, Durham voters set up a gubernatorial race between Democrat Josh Stein and Republican Mark Robinson. Former president Donald Trump came out victorious over Nikki Haley after both candidates campaigned in North Carolina ahead of Super Tuesday.

Duke made national headlines in September after a New York Times Magazine article named Duke among the ‘least economically diverse’ of the elite colleges. In response to the article, President Vincent Price characterized the article as portraying the University “in a rather harsh light.” However, students resoundingly agreed with the article’s findings. 

The University received national backlash again after it announced plans to close its herbarium after over 100 years of operations. According to Duke biology professors, the decision holds serious implications for research in climate change and biodiversity.

Following the Supreme Court’s June 2023 ruling ending race-based affirmative action, the University announced the end of the Reginaldo Howard Memorial Scholarship Program, a full-ride scholarship for select Black students. The scholarship will be replaced with the Reginaldo Howard Leadership Program and will be open to all undergraduate students, regardless of race.

The University also faced a number of lawsuits, ranging from allegations that the Alice M. Baldwin Scholars program engaged in “reverse discrimination” to a class-action lawsuit charging the University with practicing need-aware admissions, which it settled by paying $24 million.

Duke Football had a whirlwind of a season this year. Students rushed the field in excitement after the team upset No. 9 Clemson during its season opener at Wade Wallace Stadium, the squad rose to an all-time high No. 16 in the AP Poll and College Gameday came to Duke’s matchup against Notre Dame where students watched the beginning of the end of the Elko Era. After an end-of-game injury for junior quarterback Riley Leonard, the season hit a downward spiral, as a number of players entered the transfer portal following coach Mike Elko’s surprise departure to Texas A&M. Incoming coach Manny Diaz marks a new era of Duke football.

Duke men’s basketball had a season of ups and downs, dropping from its No. 2 preseason ranking after an early loss to the No. 12 Arizona Wildcats. The team eventually found its groove, yet still fell to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill during both match-ups at the Dean E. Smith Center and Cameron Indoor Stadium. Throughout the season, freshman guard Jared McCain dominated both on the court with his stellar 3-point shooting performance and off the court with his TikTok dances — most notably to “2 Days Into College” by Aimee Carty. With the top-ranked recruiting class, the team also experienced a transfer craze, with only two starters remaining on next year’s roster.

The Cameron Crazies experienced changes to tenting in Krzyzewskiville this year with the implementation of a Wellness Week and a decision to raise the “grace” temperature from 25 F to 32 F. The policy changes were made in response to complaints from last year’s tenters that tenting was “too mentally and physically overwhelming.”

Duke women’s basketball also experienced an electric season, dancing its way past No. 7 Ohio State in the Elite Eight to earn a spot in the Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2018. Duke softball also had itself a season, climbing to No. 1 for the first time in program history in April. Duke field hockey found its way to the Final Four in its Cinderella season, falling in a heartbreaker to Northwestern.

Divestment was a hot topic on campus this year. Climate-conscious students built on a decade-long campaign to get the University to divest from fossil fuels, holding multiple demonstrations and publishing a report about fossil fuel-funded research at Duke. The Advisory Committee on Investment Responsibility published a report in February recommending Price and the Board of Trustees against divestment.

The Duke community also mourned the loss of some of its members this year. Angela Risi, a second-year master of fine arts student, died in October. Hans Joris Van Miegroet, professor of art and art history, died in February. Joseph Izatt, chair of the department of biomedical engineering and Michael J. Fitzpatrick professor of engineering, died in April.

After plans to revise the Trinity curriculum beginning in February 2022, the Arts & Sciences Council approved a new curriculum in April to take effect in fall 2025. The new curriculum places a greater emphasis on the humanities amidst declines in humanities enrollment nationwide.

The Mary Lou Center for Black Culture reopened in March following a nearly 18-month closure after a burst chilled pipe in the Flowers Building forced the center to relocate to the Bryan Center. The reopening was originally slated to occur in fall 2023, yet was delayed to spring 2024 due to delays in constructions.

Duke continued its construction efforts, announcing plans to begin a two-year renovation of Lilly Library. Renovations were initially slated to start in 2020, but were delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Another one of Duke’s East Campus facilities was also shut down indefinitely, this time due to lead dust being detected in various parts of the Brodie Recreation Center. The University notified 2,800 people who had entered the facility when the lead dust was exposed.

In this year’s student elections, junior Heather Raslan pulled out victorious in a field of three candidates vying for Duke Student Government president, replacing senior Isaiah Hamilton. Senior Drew Greene was selected as the undergraduate Young Trustee.

On the last day of classes, students celebrated their achievements with a live concert headlined by Swae Lee and performances by Weston Estate and Elley Duhé. 

Share and discuss “Senior Year: 2023-2024” on social media.