2024 top recruit Cooper Flagg commits to Duke men's basketball over UConn, Kansas

Cooper Flagg at October's Countdown to Craziness.

Another No. 1 for Blue Devil head coach Jon Scheyer.

Cooper Flagg, the top-ranked player in the 2024 class, announced his commitment to Duke Monday morning via SLAM, putting to bed months of speculation about the generational prospect's final landing spot.

The Montverde Academy product follows in the footsteps of former teammates Sean Stewart and Dariq Whitehead. The 6-foot-8 power forward, originally in the 2025 class, reclassified in August. Flagg already had the eyes of the entire college basketball world trained on his decision, and the sped-up process only intensified the fanfare. 

The five-star recruit and potential first-overall 2025 NBA draft pick has been making headlines since he entered the high school scene. A Newport, Maine, native, Flagg won the Maine Gatorade Boys Basketball Player of the Year title, the first freshman to do so in his state. He and his twin brother, Ace, transferred to Montverde Academy before their sophomore years. 

With a strong offensive finish and shot-altering size, Cooper sits atop the 2024 rankings for good reason. He visited both Kansas and UConn before making his decision, even attending the Blue Devils’ football game against the Huskies Sept. 23. The forward joins Isaiah Evans, Darren Harris and Kon Knueppel in Duke’s next incoming class, which now sits at No. 1 in the nation. 

Rachael Kaplan profile
Rachael Kaplan | Sports Managing Editor

Rachael Kaplan is a Trinity junior and sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “2024 top recruit Cooper Flagg commits to Duke men's basketball over UConn, Kansas” on social media.