Duke football to offer full-ride scholarships for students who attend all home games

Editor's Note - All articles featured in The Chomicle are creative, satirical and/or entirely fictional pieces. They are fully intended as such and should not be taken seriously as news.

Even after a successful year on the field, Duke football is still not satisfied with fan engagement. Starting this upcoming season, head coach Crike Elmo announced Thursday that the football program will begin offering full-ride scholarships to students who attend the entirety of every single home game. 

“We saw a small increase in student turnout last year, and I would like to think this was due to our improved performance as a team. However, I’m not going to say us offering prizes to attendees didn’t have a part to play,” Elmo said. 

This change comes after the program offered an increasing sum of cash to one lucky student after the completion of every quarter, ending at $1,000. Now, the stakes are being turned up a bit.

When asked about the specificity of this promotion, Director of Athletics Nunya Bing said, “We have this giant endowment. Why not help out our lesser programs?” 

If students stick out the games, they will be awarded with a full-tuition scholarship. Room and board not will be covered, but will include a free tent in Krzyzewskiville. This gift will also not cover parking, a food plan or any other non-tuition expense. The football team hopes this move will draw out large crowds into a usually sleepy Wallace Wade Stadium, especially with the first game of the upcoming season coming against traditional powerhouse Clemson on Labor Day. 

Needless to say, Duke students are pumped about the chance to win some extra pocket money. 

“My dad pays for my full tuition and I know nothing about football, but I’m planning on doing my Econ homework during the game and use the cash to go on a ski trip,” Duke freshman Ronny Cheesy said. 

Editor's Note: Happy April Fools' Day! In case you couldn't tell, this was a story for our satirical edition, The Chomicle. Check out more Chomicle stories here, guaranteed to make you laugh or your money back.

Share and discuss “Duke football to offer full-ride scholarships for students who attend all home games” on social media.