2023 4-star forward TJ Power commits to Duke men's basketball

TJ Power adds to a deep 2023 class for head coach Jon Scheyer and the Blue Devils.

The Blue Devils continue to build their future as yet another top-25 recruit is on board for 2023.

Power forward TJ Power announced his commitment to Duke Wednesday evening on YouTube, adding to head coach Jon Scheyer's rock-solid 2023-24 roster. The 6-foot-8, four-star recruit out of Shrewsbury, Mass., is the top-ranked prospect in his state and joins an already-stacked frontcourt alongside Mackenzie Mgbako and Sean Stewart—both top-10 recruits.

He received his first 247 Crystal Ball predictions in favor of the Blue Devils earlier in September as momentum built up to his announcement.

"I saw a niche for me and a spot where I really think I can flourish," Power said Wednesday in front of a large crowd in his high school gymnasium. "[Scheyer]'s gonna have my back throughout it all... and I think that's something that I really need going forward."

Power is a fifth-year senior and his recent performances on the court have helped his rapid ascent up the rankings. The Worcester Academy star has developed a strong outside shot and skills as an initiator. He has been noted as an above-average playmaker with an ability to create for teammates—a healthy asset while playing alongside five-star commits Caleb Foster, Jared McCain, Mgbako and Stewart. With the addition of Power, Duke bolsters its top-ranked 2023 recruiting class.

Meanwhile, Scheyer continues his run of attracting highly touted recruits as the immediate future of the program continues to brighten even after former head coach Mike Krzyzewski's retirement after the 2021 season. Power chose to play for Scheyer and Duke over ACC foes North Carolina, Virginia and Boston College in addition to reigning Big Ten champion Iowa.

While Power's decision was based on developing his basketball career, the two-sport athlete told Adam Zagoria in August that he was interested in also playing baseball as a left-handed pitcher regardless of where he ended up. 

Micah Hurewitz

Micah Hurewitz is a Trinity senior and was previously a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “2023 4-star forward TJ Power commits to Duke men's basketball” on social media.