2023 4-star guard Jared McCain commits to Duke men's basketball

<p>McCain (left) was in attendance at Duke's Feb. 7 game against Virginia.</p>

McCain (left) was in attendance at Duke's Feb. 7 game against Virginia.

The day the 2021-22 Blue Devils tip off their NCAA tournament, Duke fans may have to take a moment to look two years ahead.

2023 four-star guard Jared McCain announced his commitment to the Blue Devils Friday afternoon, marking the third commitment and second four-star addition to Duke's 2023 class. McCain was announced as the California Gatorade Boys Basketball Player of the Year Wednesday.

Ranked as the 33rd overall recruit and the seventh-ranked shooting guard in his class per 247Sports, the Corona, Calif., native chose to play for head coach-in-waiting Jon Scheyer and Duke over remaining on the West Coast to play at Gonzaga. 

McCain is a 6-foot-2 guard who is listed as a shooting guard but can also play the point. He is a solid shooter from the midrange and can drive to the basket. He recently won the California high school basketball championship with his Centennial squad—one of the nation’s best—making him a proven winner looking to join five-star guard Caleb Foster and four-star forward Sean Stewart with the Blue Devils in 2023.

McCain, who has over one million followers on TikTok, made his commitment via Instagram just minutes before Duke's tipoff against Cal State Fullerton in Greenville, S.C., in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Micah Hurewitz

Micah Hurewitz is a Trinity senior and was previously a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “2023 4-star guard Jared McCain commits to Duke men's basketball ” on social media.