Seventy-six percent of Duke and Duke Health employees, 9,300 students now fully vaccinated against COVID-19

Seventy-nine percent of University employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to Duke’s Office of Employee Occupational Health & Wellness as cited in a press release.

Seventy-six percent of Duke employees across Duke University and Duke University Health System combined are fully vaccinated, according to the release. In contrast, just 40% of North Carolina’s population and 41.9% of the United States population are fully vaccinated. 

The release also noted that about 9,300 students have been vaccinated. 

Duke’s COVID-19 regulations still require masking and distancing inside of University buildings and buses, and surveillance testing is still underway for students, faculty and staff who are living and working on campus this summer. 

Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh said in the press release that if cases continue to fall as more and more members of the University community are vaccinated, Duke may make changes to some of its COVID-19 restrictions by early July.

The release also highlighted Duke’s participation in the COVID-19 College Vaccine Challenge. The White House and the U.S. Department of Education have challenged participating schools to engage every member of their campus communities, organize a plan to get as many people vaccinated as possible and ensure easy vaccine access for anyone who wants it. 

To ensure accurate counting of all vaccinated community members, Duke Health has asked all students, faculty and staff who have been vaccinated to submit documentation of any doses received outside of a Duke employee or student vaccination clinic.

Students should email a picture of their vaccine card to covidlabresults@duke.edu. Faculty and staff should upload a photograph of their vaccine card to the Duke VAXTrax form.

Editor's note: An earlier version of this article incorrectly switched the percentages of vaccinated University employees and employees across Duke and the Duke University Health System who have been fully vaccinated. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Anna Zolotor profile
Anna Zolotor

Anna Zolotor is a Trinity senior and recruitment chair for The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Seventy-six percent of Duke and Duke Health employees, 9,300 students now fully vaccinated against COVID-19” on social media.