Sportswrap: Men's lacrosse tops North Carolina, women's soccer gets back in win column

In an eventful week of Duke athletics, Joe Robertson and Duke men's lacrosse stole the show with their win against No. 2 North Carolina.

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of March 30-April 5.

Men’s lacrosse 

In a regular-season rivalry matchup of epic proportions, No. 1 Duke took down No. 2 North Carolina 12-11 Thursday night, with senior attackman Joe Robertson notching the game-winner in double overtime. The Blue Devils (11-0, 2-0 in the ACC) take on No. 4 Notre Dame Saturday in their third straight top-five matchup. -Evan Kolin

Women’s soccer 

The seventh-ranked Blue Devils (10-5-2) fought their way back into the win column Friday night, toppling N.C. State 1-0 behind some impressive team defense and a Mia Gyau unassisted goal. Duke will host No. 18 Vanderbilt Sunday for its final regular-season matchup of the season. -Jonathan Levitan

Women’s lacrosse 

No. 8 Duke came into its Saturday road game against No. 4 Boston College looking to break a two-game skid, but the Blue Devils (6-5, 2-5) came up just short, falling 17-15. Next on the docket is a Thursday road trip to take on No. 15 Louisville. -Jonathan Browning

Track and field 

The Blue Devils showed out at the Virginia Invitational, taking home first-place honors in 10 separate events. The men’s and women’s 4x100m relay teams set school records with times of 40.82 and 44.28 seconds, respectively. Next on the agenda for Duke is the Tobacco Road Challenge and Combined Events Meeting, which starts April 9. -Max Rego

Men’s golf 

The Blue Devils placed fifth out of 16 teams at the Hootie Intercollegiate, a solid rebound for the team following a second to last place showing at the Valspar Collegiate. Next up is the Stitch Intercollegiate in Cary, N.C., this weekend. -Robert Miron

Men’s tennis 

Duke handed Boston College a 6-1 loss and put up a fight against No. 2 North Carolina before losing 1-6 to the Tar Heels. With that match ending a travel-heavy start to ACC play for the Blue Devils (9-8, 4-4), they welcome N.C. State and No. 14 Wake Forest to Ambler Tennis Stadium this weekend. -Em Adler

Women’s tennis 

The 13th-ranked Blue Devils lost 3-4 Thursday against No. 12 N.C. State in what was their closest match of the season. This contest notably broke Duke’s 54-match home win streak, and the Blue Devils (11-5, 6-4) will take on Boston College and Syracuse this Friday and Sunday, respectively. - Campbell Lawson

Softball 

No. 21 Duke dropped its first three weekend games against No. 14 Virginia Tech to extend its losing streak to five, but managed to win Sunday’s closing game. The Blue Devils (27-6, 15-6) will undoubtedly hope to get some spark in their bats by the time they reach Tallahassee, Fla., to play No. 11 Florida State this weekend. -Adler

Baseball 

Duke started its week off with a 5-4 win against Liberty but lost all three of its weekend games to No. 20 Miami. The Blue Devils (11-13, 5-10) are currently in last place in the Coastal Division, and will host N.C. Central Tuesday before traveling to Chapel Hill to play North Carolina next weekend. -Jake Piazza

Volleyball 

Duke ended its season with two road losses, falling to both No. 22 Notre Dame and No. 23 Georgia Tech in four sets on Friday and Saturday, respectively. Ade Owokoniran led the Blue Devils (9-13, 7-10) offensively in both matches with double-digit kills and Monday morning, Owokoniran was named to the All-ACC Second Team along with senior Payton Schwantz and junior Mackenzie Cole. -Olivia Wivestad

Men’s soccer 

Duke tallied its third scoreless tie of the season Saturday night in a road match against N.C. State, and although the Blue Devils (4-9-3, 4-5-1) were able to get eight shots, finishing was once again a problem. Duke will finish its regular season against No. 15 North Carolina at home on Friday. -Sasha Richie

Rowing 

No. 10 Duke had a very solid performance Saturday in the Big Ten/ACC Double Dual at the Griggs Reservoir. The Varsity Eight defeated No. 7 Michigan for the first time in program history, and Duke will have a chance for more success against Big Ten competition in its next race April 17-18. -Cameron DeChurch

Field hockey 

The 15th-ranked Blue Devils came close to pulling off a massive upset against No. 1 North Carolina Friday, but they fell 4-3 in an intense double-overtime battle. Duke (3-11, 1-3) will host No. 5 Louisville this upcoming Saturday for its second-to-last game of the regular season. -Piazza 

Teams that did not compete this past week:

Duke women’s golf did not compete as a team this past week, with its next tournament coming April 6-7 in the Cavalier Match Play. 

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Men's lacrosse tops North Carolina, women's soccer gets back in win column” on social media.