Sportswrap: Softball continues to make history, 3 swimmers and divers earn All-American status

The softball team gave head coach Marissa Young a classic Gatorade shower after securing the 100th win in program history Saturday.

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of March 16-22.

Men’s golf 

Duke competed in the Valspar Collegiate in Palm City, Fla. The team finished 10th out of 11 teams in the event, with freshman Ian Siebers leading the way at one-under par in a tie for 16th place individually. The Hootie Intercollegiate at Bulls Bay is up next for the Blue Devils from March 28-30. -Robert Miron

Women’s golf 

No. 5 Duke competed at the Big Four Challenge over the weekend, beating NC State 4-1 in the first round but falling short against No. 3 Wake Forest 3-2 in the final round. Senior Jaravee Boonchant led the team as the sole Blue Devil to win both her matchups. Next, Duke will travel to Charlottesville, Va., for the Cavalier Match Play April 6-7 in what will be its final regular-season tournament. -Eric Gim

Baseball

After rolling past Davidson last Tuesday, the Blue Devils took on No. 12 Notre Dame in a three-game series in South Bend, Ind., dropping the first two games before taking the series finale Sunday. Duke (8-8, 4-5 in the ACC) looked the part of the Fighting Irish’s equal all weekend, and is starting to find some pitching consistency, though No. 10 Georgia Tech will test that this upcoming weekend. -Em Adler

Swimming and diving 

Duke traveled to Greensboro, N.C., last week to compete in the women’s NCAA Championships, where the team placed 34th while three Blue Devils earned honorable All-American status. Junior Maddi Pullinger earned the honor in one-meter diving, with sophomore Ali Watson doing so in platform diving. Rounding out the trio was sophomore Emma Shuppert, who did so in the 100-yard backstroke and broke the school record in the process. Duke now prepares for the men’s NCAA Championships this Wednesday through Saturday. -Ramona Naseri

Softball 

No. 19 Duke extended its program-record win streak to 18 games, this time taking down Syracuse in a four-game sweep headlined again by dominant pitching. Along the way, the Blue Devils (24-1, 12-1) collected their 100th win since the program’s inception four years ago. Head coach Marissa Young’s squad must now prepare for No. 22 Clemson this weekend. -Micah Hurewitz

Women’s soccer 

Continuing its stellar start to the spring, No. 5 Duke cruised to a relaxing 6-0 victory last Wednesday evening against visiting Coastal Carolina in its first home match since Oct. 9. The Blue Devils (9-4-2, 4-2-2) will see a big step up in competition when they travel to play No. 7 West Virginia this Saturday. -Jonathan Levitan

Wrestling 

Redshirt junior Josh Finesilver was the lone Blue Devil to compete at the NCAA Championships, taking on the 149-pound bracket. The now-three-time NCAA qualifier lost his opening bout Thursday but quickly responded with his first career win in an NCAA Championships later that day. He also won his first two bouts Friday, including the program’s first win against a top-five opponent in an NCAA Championships since 2018, but ultimately fell one victory short of becoming Duke’s fifth-ever All-American (top eight finishers in each weight class). -Evan Kolin

Women’s tennis 

No. 9 Duke fell to undefeated No. 1 North Carolina 6-1 Friday. Sophomore Chloe Beck gave the Blue Devils their lone win by defeating the Tar Heels’ Cameron Morra, the highest-ranked win and second top-10 victory of Beck’s career. The Blue Devils (10-3, 5-2) will take on No. 15 Virginia Saturday in Charlottesville, Va. -Campbell Lawson

Volleyball 

Senior Payton Schwantz notched her 1000th career kill during Duke’s final home match of the season Monday against Boston College, becoming the 26th player in program history to do so. The Blue Devils swept the Eagles in three sets after falling to both Miami and No. 19 Pittsburgh over the weekend, with each of those two matches going to five sets. Duke (9-9, 7-6) will travel to play Syracuse and Wake Forest this upcoming weekend. -Olivia Wivestad

Field hockey 

No. 12 Duke hosted No. 5 Liberty in a double-overtime thriller Sunday afternoon. The Blue Devils jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead behind goals from freshman Darcy Bourne and sophomore Hannah Miller, but Liberty managed to come back and snag the win. The heartbreaking loss came two days after a 4-1 defeat at the hands of No. 13 Wake Forest. Duke (3-9, 1-1) will play host to No. 8 Syracuse this Saturday for another ACC matchup with NCAA tournament implications. -Jake Piazza

Men’s soccer 

Duke hosted No. 7 Pittsburgh Friday and lost a double-overtime, 4-3 shootout. The Blue Devils have struggled to score this season, so their three-goals from senior Daniel Wright as well as freshmen Miguel Ramirez and Thorleifur Ulfarsson, respectively, were a positive sign for the squad, even in a defeat. Duke (3-9-2, 3-5-0) heads to Charlottesville,Va., to face Virginia this upcoming Sunday. -Cameron DeChurch

Women’s lacrosse 

No. 7 Duke came into its weekend pair of road games against No. 8 Virginia well-rested, and it certainly showed Friday. After briefly falling behind, the Blue Devils took control and rolled to an easy 17-8 win behind a dominant draw performance. But in Sunday’s rematch, the Cavaliers prevailed 14-11. The schedule doesn’t get any easier for Duke (6-3, 2-3), as it takes on No. 4 Notre Dame this Sunday. -Jonathan Browning

Teams that did not compete this past week:

Top-ranked Duke men’s lacrosse will be back in action against No. 4 Syracuse Thursday. 

Blue Devil fencers that qualified will compete in the NCAA Championships Thursday through Sunday.

After an extended break due to COVID-19 protocol, Duke men’s tennis will take on Virginia Friday and Virginia Tech Sunday.

Duke rowing faces off against ACC-powerhouse Virginia Friday and Saturday in the Virginia Invite.

Duke track and field will open its outdoor season with the Raleigh Relays this Thursday through Saturday.

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Softball continues to make history, 3 swimmers and divers earn All-American status” on social media.