Preview: Interior battle will play a key role for Duke men's basketball against North Carolina

<p>Duke will have a tall task defending North Carolina's four talented post players.</p>

Duke will have a tall task defending North Carolina's four talented post players.

The stakes are always high for both sides in the Tobacco Road rivalry, but this year, Duke has a different kind of pressure riding on the outcome of this game. 

After two consecutive overtime losses, the Blue Devils officially have no room for error if they want to sneak into the NCAA tournament. They’ve lived on the bubble for the entire season, and when their 6 p.m. Saturday tipoff with North Carolina rolls around, the Dean E. Smith Center will be filled at 15% capacity with raucous Tar Heel fans ready to let out a year's worth of cheering thanks to the recent loosening of the North Carolina public health guidelines.

“It’s basically win or go home, so our season could be done next week or we can just keep fighting and keep working and getting better and our season can keep going,” sophomore Matthew Hurt said. “We’re not trying to focus on the outside, all the bracketology and everything. We’re just trying to keep it just us. ‘Us against the world' we like to say, and just try to keep working everyday.”

The most significant change since the last time these two teams met is undoubtedly the emergence of big men Walker Kessler and Mark Williams. Kessler dominated to lift North Carolina over Florida State Feb. 27 for its biggest win of the season, and if he can have a repeat of that 20-point, eight-rebound game, Duke is going to have an uphill battle.

Fortunately for the Blue Devils, Williams has also grown tremendously in the past month. The 7-footer is coming off of a 20-point performance on 9-of-9 shooting from the field against Georgia Tech, and his paint presence will be key in shutting down not only Kessler, but also the other three North Carolina bigs.

“[Williams is] a really good player who has got a chance to be a special player and so really this year, his freshman year has progressed—it would have progressed a little bit quicker with a summer and a better fall and just a full season—but he’s following that course where he’s just gonna keep getting better and he’s really played well,” Krzyzewski said. "I’m proud of him because he’s put in a lot of extra work.” 

Graduate transfer Patrick Tapé and associate head coach Nate James have played a key role in Williams' development as well, Krzyzewski said. 

Rounding out the rest of the Tar Heel front court is Armando Bacot, Garrison Brooks and Day’ron Sharpe, who are each more than capable of a double-double night and will require close attention for the entire game. 

Freshman Henry Coleman III and Hurt will be alongside Williams defending the North Carolina bigs, and although Coleman has seen limited minutes this year, he’s a player that has X-Factor ability written all over. In the first matchup this season, Coleman immediately injected life into Duke’s lineup, so expect Krzyzewski to turn to him if the Blue Devils need a jumpstart. 

While Coleman may be the answer to any energy deficit Duke has, Wendell Moore Jr. is the player to turn to for all other in-game problems. The sophomore’s versatility was on full display against Georgia Tech, and not just on the offensive end of the court. Moore snagged four steals to go along with his 20 points and eight rebounds, and the level of maturity he plays with is something that dramatically helps the flow of the offense. 

“I feel like my versatility is my best attribute, just being able to do whatever is needed whenever is needed. I take pride in doing that, whether it’s taking on the scoring load for the night or whether it’s guarding the best player, getting the rebounds,” Moore said. “Even if it’s not my night, I still got to coach my guys up. That’s just my role as leader, just being always ready. I just do whatever’s needed.”

While this game will likely be decided by which frontcourt has a bigger impact, the importance of the guard play should not be underestimated. 

For Duke, young guards Jeremy Roach and DJ Steward are coming off two games of subpar performances, and if they can get back on track, Hurt and Williams will have a lot more space to work with in the key. 

The Blue Devils are not the only ones who have had offensive woes with their young guards though, with the Tar Heels not getting the expected production out of five-star recruit Caleb Love. The freshman torched Duke from 3-point land in the two rivals' first bout, but has struggled to score efficiently in most of his other performances this season. Regardless, Love has already burned Duke once, so senior guard Jordan Goldwire’s defensive services will be in high demand all evening. 

The Tobacco Road rivalry always delivers, and this Saturday will be no different as Duke attempts to scratch and claw its way into an NCAA tournament bid.

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Preview: Interior battle will play a key role for Duke men's basketball against North Carolina” on social media.