Beats' picks: Can Duke men's basketball close out the regular season with a win against North Carolina?

Mark Williams' presence inside will be essential if Duke hopes to snag a win in Chapel Hill.

Duke heads to Chapel Hill in desperate need of a win to boost its NCAA tournament chances. Our beat writers are here to make their predictions for the 6 p.m. regular-season finale:

Evan Kolin: Duke 85-81

In a game with monumental implications on Duke's NCAA tournament hopes, with the Blue Devils also looking to avoid their second regular-season sweep to North Carolina in three years, I just can't see head coach Mike Krzyzewski's squad not coming ready to play. Matthew Hurt will rebound from a tough showing against the Tar Heels last month, Mark Williams will continue his current hot streak and Duke will snag the victory in Chapel Hill.

Shane Smith: North Carolina 85-80

Let’s face it—the Blue Devils are better than their 11-10 record portrays them to be, but inability to close games has haunted Duke this year. The Tobacco Road rivalry will always be a close game, and I’ll give the edge to the more experienced team. Plus, Duke has crumbled down the stretch against Georgia Tech and Louisville on the road with fans in attendance, and North Carolina students in the building will bring the energy all night.

Derek Saul: Duke 76-72

This is not the most scientific reasoning, but my gut still tells me Duke will make the NCAA tournament. If that is still going to happen, the Blue Devils absolutely must win this game. The basketball gods have not smiled upon Duke in close games this season, but I think that changes this evening. The Tar Heels are imposing inside, but I think the Hurt-Williams frontcourt combination does enough to neutralize the North Carolina bigs and keep the Blue Devils’ postseason hopes alive.

Conner McLeod: Duke 80-77

After a disappointing last two games for Duke’s young backcourt, Jeremy Roach and DJ Steward will bounce back in their season finale against the Tobacco Road rivals. The continued improvements from Williams will be on full display against North Carolina’s veteran bigs, as the Tar Heels will have to rely more on their 3-point shooting. It will be a back-and-forth affair like any other rivalry game, but in the end, Coach K will find out how to give his team the upper hand and avoid a Carolina sweep.

Jake Piazza: North Carolina 79-75

For whatever reason, Duke is losing in spurts of three this season, and I think the matchup with North Carolina is going to give way to the Blue Devils' third three-game losing streak of the year. Williams will have a big game down low, but ultimately the four Tar Heel bigs are going to allow North Carolina to constantly have a well-rested big man in the game, leading to a Tar Heel victory.

Max Rego: Duke 81-73

Both of these teams have taken strides since their first meeting, with the emergence of Walker Kessler for North Carolina and Williams for Duke sticking out. Williams’ interior presence has been even bigger for the Blue Devils in my view though, as it seems like Hurt has been freed up on both ends of the court due to more opportunities at the four spot. Thanks to Hurt improving on his 3-of-6 showing against the Tar Heels last month, and some improved backcourt play from Roach and Steward, Duke waltzes into Chapel Hill and splits the season series. 

Share and discuss “Beats' picks: Can Duke men's basketball close out the regular season with a win against North Carolina?” on social media.