Diverse fraternity boasts members from all 5 boroughs

The Chomicle

Editor's Note - All articles featured in The Chomicle are creative, satirical and/or entirely fictional pieces. They are fully intended as such and should not be taken seriously as news.

In a time when diversity in Greek life is coming under fire, one fraternity has taken a stand. 

Sigma Apple Pie has committed to initiating members from all five boroughs. The 75 brothers—whose backgrounds span Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island—will be able to learn how their disparate experiences shaped their upbringing. And even though they rode separate subway lines and stepped on different sewer rats, the brothers say they couldn’t be more alike.

“My big taught me so much about how to expand my worldview. It’s amazing,” sophomore Bob de Blasio said. “He always flies out of JFK since he lives in Queens, but I usually do LaGuardia or Newark.” 

Sigma Apple Pie had been vying for the honor of most diverse fraternity for the past few years, as they already had brothers from four of the five boroughs. But the fraternity committed itself to making a difference by giving the weird kid from Staten Island a bid this spring.

“Yeah, it’s been really inspiring actually,” fraternity president Mitchell Bloomberg said. “We hope to really put different cultures into conversation by having one TV on the Mets game and another on the Yankees game. If that isn’t a true commitment to learning about other cultures and bridging our differences, I don’t know what is.”

However, not everyone is enamored with the inclusivity efforts. Rival fraternity Alpha Sigma Sigma argued that Sigma Apple Pie’s diversity win is just a farce. 

“Leaving out vibrant cultural centers on the eastern end of Long Island is, frankly, an embarrassment,” said senior Randy Giuliani, a member of Alpha Sigma Sigma. “How can you claim to be diverse when you don’t even have anybody from the Hamptons?”

Editor's Note: Happy April Fools' Day! In case you couldn't tell, this was a story for our satirical edition, The Chomicle. Check out more Chomicle stories here, guaranteed to make you laugh or your money back. 

Share and discuss “Diverse fraternity boasts members from all 5 boroughs” on social media.