Suspensions lifted for three of Duke's four suspended fraternities

In recent weeks, Duke had temporarily suspended four fraternities—two only for new member activities—pending investigations into hazing allegations. 

Three of those suspensions have now been lifted. 

Pi Kappa Phi's suspension and Kappa Alpha Order and Sigma Phi Epsilon's suspensions of new member activities have been cleared, Emilie Dye, director of student engagement for the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, wrote in an email to The Chronicle Friday morning. 

Dye did not say what the results of the investigation into Delta Tau Delta were. Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, confirmed Jan. 25 that the fraternity was suspended pending an investigation into hazing allegations. 

Dye confirmed in an email Friday afternoon that Delta Tau Delta remains on interim suspension pending investigation.

At the time, Delta Tau Delta President Matthew Gallardo, a junior, wrote that the fraternity was aware of the allegations and that it was working on the situation with its central office.

"Hazing is a violation of university policy and state law, and we take any allegations of potential harm to students very seriously," Moneta wrote to The Chronicle when announcing three of the suspensions. 

He confirmed sanctions for Pi Kappa Phi, Delta Tau Delta and Sigma Phi Epsilon Jan. 25 before confirming the sanctions placed on Kappa Alpha Feb. 7. 

Editor's note: This article was updated Friday afternoon to include confirmation that Delta Tau Delta remains on interim suspension. 

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “Suspensions lifted for three of Duke's four suspended fraternities” on social media.