Class of 2024 commencement preview

With commencement just around the corner, The Chronicle asked for photo submissions to celebrate the Class of 2024's time on campus.

The Class of 2024 has had an eventful four years at Duke. From matriculating during a global pandemic to watching the higher education landscape change before their eyes, this class has seen it all. The Chronicle is here to celebrate their accomplishments in preparation for commencement on Sunday with this year's graduation preview.

Below, you’ll find a revisiting of the years the Class of 2024 spent at Duke, reflections from Duke seniors, a look at this year’s honorary degree recipients and more.

1. Seniors reflect on their time at Duke

LDOC Main Quad 9

By Lucas Lin

Seniors reflected on the community they built and the personal growth they've experienced ahead of graduation.

2. First Year: 2020-2021

A quiet campus on an unusual LDOC
An empty quad where the LDOC concert has been held in years past.

The Class of 2024's first year was the beginning of a new normal, with its members studying from Durham and around the world.

3. Sophomore Year: 2021-2022

Thanks to a complete team effort, Duke is going back to the Final Four.

Sophomore year — the Class of 2024's first full year on campus — was hallmarked by changes to Duke's housing system, an unforgettable basketball season and a return to near-normalcy. 

4. Junior Year: 2022-2023

Vibrant blooms transform the Duke gardens into a world of color.

The Class of 2024’s junior year was marked by the implementation of QuadEx, the announcement of the Climate Commitment and the lifting of COVID-19 protocols that defined the beginning of the Class of 2024’s Duke experience.

5. Senior Year: 2023-2024

LDOC BC Plaza Morning

Senior year saw the impact of national issues to campus, with a changing higher education landscape and the outbreak of the Israel-Hamas war — all while celebrating Duke’s 100th year. 

6. Seniors give advice to incoming students

20230912 Rubenstein Library Gothic Reading Room Albert Liu 2

By Rebecca Fan

As their experience on campus comes to a close, three graduating seniors reflected on their time at Duke to offer advice to new Blue Devils.

7. Jerry Seinfeld to deliver commencement address

By Jazper Lu and Audrey Wang

Actor and stand-up comedian Jerry Seinfeld is set to give the commencement address for the Class of 2024 May 12 in Wallace Wade Stadium. He will also be awarded an honorary Doctor of Arts degree.

8. Meet this year’s honorary degree recipients

2024 Honorary degree recipients
Top left: Rhiannon Giddens. Top right: Rose Marcario. Bottom left: C.B. Claiborne. Bottom right: Desmond Meade.

By Zoe Kolenovsky

In addition to commencement speaker Jerry Seinfeld, Duke will award honorary degrees to four individuals who have exemplified lifelong commitments to social justice in their various fields.

9. Upcoming commencement events

Commencement 9

By Aseel Ibrahim

From the main undergraduate commencement event in Wallace Wade Stadium to doctoral hooding ceremonies, here are the ways Duke is celebrating those graduating in 2024.

10. The Class of 2024’s graduation photos

Acelo Worku, Spandan Goel, Rachel Qian, Dipali Arora and Madeleine Jones

Share and discuss “Class of 2024 commencement preview” on social media.