Two fraternity chapters suspended, new member activity stopped at third pending hazing investigation

Duke's chapters of Delta Tau Delta and Pi Kappa Phi fraternities have been suspended, and all new member activities at Sigma Phi Epsilon have been suspended pending a hazing investigation. 

Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, wrote to The Chronicle in an email that allegations against the fraternities have prompted an investigation. 

"Duke University has no tolerance for hazing," Moneta wrote. "As soon as the university was made aware of these allegations we launched an investigation."

Duke is working with the three fraternities' national offices and Duke University Police Department in the process of the investigation, Moneta wrote. 

"Hazing is a violation of university policy and state law, and we take any allegations of potential harm to students very seriously," Moneta wrote. 

Delta Tau Delta president Matthew Gallardo wrote that the fraternity is aware of the allegations and that it is working on the situation with its central office. Matthew Conley, president of Duke's Interfraternity Council, wrote in an email that The Chronicle should reach out to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. 

"At this point in time, I don’t have any further information to contribute," Conley wrote.

The Chronicle has reached out to the presidents of the other two fraternities and the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, but they could not be reached immediately for comment. 

Saturday afternoon, Moneta added in an email that he could not comment yet about the specifics of the allegations against the fraternities.

This story was updated at 8:10 p.m. Friday to reflect Gallardo's comments, and Saturday morning to include Conley's comments. It was also updated Saturday afternoon to include that Moneta's additional comments. Check back for updates to this developing story. 

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “Two fraternity chapters suspended, new member activity stopped at third pending hazing investigation” on social media.