Chron chat: Recapping Duke football's 2016 season

<p>Head coach David Cutcliffe's squad missed the postseason for the first time since 2011 after finishing the year 4-8.</p>

Head coach David Cutcliffe's squad missed the postseason for the first time since 2011 after finishing the year 4-8.

After the Blue Devils wrapped up their 4-8 season with a loss at Miami last Saturday, The Chronicle's Amrith Ramkumar, Ben Feder and Sam Turken discussed why the Blue Devils missed the postseason for the first time since 2011. Although injuries and a few lackluster performances early on derailed Duke's 2016 campaign, our football beat writers took a step back and debated whether the future looks bright the Blue Devils. The topics discussed can be viewed below.

0:28—Daniel Jones' future as Duke's quarterback after his strong finish to the season

1:38—How injuries forced the Blue Devils' young players to get more experience at the skill positions

3:35—Breakout seasons at linebacker for underclassmen Ben Humphreys and Joe Giles-Harris

4:29—Why Duke struggled to limit explosive plays and how it can adjust in the defensive backfield in the future

6:08—How much a poor special teams performance hurt the Blue Devils this season

9:39—What reasonable expectations are for Duke's record next year

10:37—A discussion of the potential for a quarterback competition next year between Jones and Thomas Sirk

Share and discuss “Chron chat: Recapping Duke football's 2016 season” on social media.