2016 Syracuse football season preview

2015 record: 4-8, 2-6 in the ACC (5th in the Atlantic) 

Head coach: Dino Babers (1st season) 

The ACC is breaking in four new head coaches trying to inject life into offenses that have been inconsistent in recent years, and perhaps none of them have a tougher job than Syracuse head coach Dino Babers.

A successful head coach at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green, Babers hopes to get players and fans excited in Syracuse again after the Orange have gone a combined 7-17 the past two seasons. As usual, Syracuse's schedule doesn't do the team any favors in 2016 as Babers looks to implement an up-tempo offense.

Because they play in the Atlantic Division, the Orange—who ranked outside the top 10 in the ACC in almost every major statistical category last season—have to play the league's three best teams in Clemson, Florida State and Louisville, in addition to taking on Notre Dame. 

Offensively, Syracuse does have weapons to work with in running backs Jordan Fredericks and Dontae Strickland and quarterback Eric Dungey, who started seven games as a freshman in 2015 before getting injured. But for Dungey to be effective in his second year, the 6-foot-3 signal caller will need better protection from an offensive line that will use three new starters in 2016.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Orange will look like a completely new team this year as they transition from a more aggressive scheme to the Tampa-2, which involves less blitzing and more zone coverage. The new approach should help Syracuse, which allowed more than 40 points in all five of its road losses in 2016, limit explosive plays in the passing game.

The Orange had some bright spots in 2015, including putting a scare into LSU, and could surprise some teams this year if they can play better away from the Carrier Dome. 

Share and discuss “2016 Syracuse football season preview” on social media.