SPORTSWRAP: April 4, 2016

The Chronicle's Jack Dolgin recaps the weekend in Duke athletics. The men's lacrosse team played its third straight overtime game, falling 17-16 to Tobacco Road rival North Carolina while the women fell 14-12 to No. 4 Syracuse at the Carrier Dome. The women's tennis team continued its dominance in ACC play, defeating No. 12 Virginia 4-0 and besting Notre Dame 4-1. With the season in the books, men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski underwent total knee replacement surgery Sunday morning, and the women's basketball team lost two talented pieces from this year's roster when sophomore Azurá Stevens and freshman Angela Salvadores announced they would not return next season.

Krzyzewski undergoes knee replacement surgery Sunday: Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski underwent successful total knee replacement surgery Sunday, the team announced in a press release. Krzyzewski could be released from the hospital in the next three days. He will then begin a rehabilitation program at Duke.

Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball program: Sophomore Azurá Stevens and freshman Angela Salvadores will not return to the Blue Devil program next season, Duke announced Friday. Stevens—Duke's leading scorer and rebounder—was a first team All-ACC selection last season despite missing seven conference games with a partially torn plantar fascia, and also earned honorable mention AP All-American recognition. A team spokesperson wrote in an email that Salvadores is heading back to Europe to begin a professional career.

Former Duke director of athletics Tom Butters dies at 77: Former Duke vice president and director of athletics Tom Butters—the man who hired head men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski as part of a 30-year career as a Duke administrator—died Thursday night. He was 77.

Myles Jones' career day not enough for Duke men's lacrosse as North Carolina tops Blue Devils in overtime thriller: The No. 17 Tar Heels knocked off No. 11 Duke for the second straight year 17-16 in overtime on senior Patrick Kelly’s decisive overtime goal at Koskinen Stadium Friday night. Kelly’s tally came after Duke junior midfielder Jack Bruckner sent the game into a sudden-death extra session with a goal with just 7.6 seconds remaining in regulation

Duke baseball splits 2 contests with Georgia Tech on wild-pitch endings Saturday: The Blue Devils completed two very different games with two very different outcomes Saturday afternoon, but both ended with the same unlikely play for the go-ahead run. In the second contest, Duke sophomore Jack Labosky belted two three-run home runs and finished with a career-high eight RBIs as both squads displayed their offensive prowess to combine for 27 runs and 33 hits.

Bats wake up as Duke baseball takes road series from Georgia Tech for first time since 2000: A seven-run fifth inning propelled Duke to a 10-4 victory Sunday against the No. 23 Yellow Jackets, taking a road series from Georgia Tech for the first time since 2000.

Duke women's tennis dispatches No. 12 Virginia and Notre Dame to stay strong in ACC play: The No. 10 Blue Devils bounced back from a 4-1 home loss against No. 3 North Carolina Tuesday by sweeping No. 12 Virginia 4-0 Friday and defeating the Fighting Irish two days later.

Hot start propels Duke men's tennis past N.C. State 5-2: Duke has struggled to sustain strong play in many of its matches this spring but had no such issues Friday, continuing its dominance of an in-state rival thanks to another fast start.

No. 3 Virginia overwhelms Duke men's tennis in third sets: No. 3 Virginia seemed to have all the answers Sunday, downing Duke 6-1 Sunday afternoon. The Cavaliers dominated the doubles point to grab an early lead, then held on through a tough singles slate.

Two program records, 9 event wins highlight Battle of the Blues for Duke track and field: The Blue Devils finished second in the women’s competition and third in the men’s against North Carolina and Michigan Saturday afternoon in the second and final day of the Battle of the Blues at Morris Williams Track and Field Stadium.

Duke women's golf goes 2-1 in match play to close regular season: The Blue Devils arrived in Athens, Ga., with the momentum they needed to stand out among a flurry of top-10 teams, but a sluggish start prevented them from ending the regular season on a high note.

Comeback falls short for Duke women's lacrosse at No. 4 Syracuse: No. 4 Syracuse held off a late Blue Devil comeback, beating No. 13 Duke 14-12 in Syracuse, N.Y.,and handing the visitors their first loss in five games and first conference defeat of the season.

Quote of the Week:

"Then we walked in and my friends and family were here, and there was only one microphone at the podium, and I was kind of confused."

—incoming Duke freshman Jayson Tatum, on being surprised with the Gatorade National Basketball Basketball Player of the Year Award Thursday at his high school

Share and discuss “SPORTSWRAP: April 4, 2016” on social media.