Elon Season Preview

Following a 2-10 finish in 2013, Elon football underwent an offseason full of change. The Phoenix hope that a new coaching staff, a new conference and a new year will be enough to change the fortunes of the program.

At the conclusion of the 2013 season, Elon gutted its coaching staff and lured Rich Skrosky away from his role as offensive coordinator at Ball State to lead the Phoenix. Since assuming the head coaching role, Skrosky has built out his staff of assistant coaches, signed his first recruiting class of 13 players, and reunited with players he helped coach and recruit during his stint as Elon's offensive coordinator from 2006-2010.

Among the redshirt seniors that were at Elon for Skrosky's final season as offensive coordinator are wide receiver Kierre Brown and quarterback Mike Quinn. The tandem will likely the draw the focus of opposing defenses, as Brown's athleticism will make him a tough assignment for any secondary. In 12 games last season, Quinn tallied 17 touchdowns against nine interceptions and Brown reeled in 50 receptions for 448 yards while also serving as the team's return specialist.

On the other side of the ball, Skrosky will be looking to tighten up a defense that allowed 32.75 points per game last season, including giving up 70 to Georgia Tech in the season opener. The Phoenix finished 2013 as the Southern Conference's second-worst defense in terms of points allowed and the conference's worst in terms of yards allowed, giving up an average of 468.5 yards each game.

This season will mark the first for Elon as a member of the Colonial Athletic Association.

Share and discuss “Elon Season Preview” on social media.