X factor: Duke basketball vs. Kansas

The Blue Devils travel to Chicago to play Kansas at 9:30 p.m. at the United Center. In a matchup between two top-5 teams, we break down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest.

Duke: Guard Rasheed Sulaimon

While this week's X factor Sulaimon started on the bench against Davidson, he ultimately managed 25 minutes on the court, good for fourth on the team. He made 6-of-9 field goals and stroked 75 percent from behind the arc in a strong shooting performance. More importantly, the 6-foot-4 guard grabbed seven rebounds, which was especially encouraging because Duke will be coming up against a big and tall Jayhawks team. As they displayed against the Wildcats, Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood will stretch defenses and this could open up multiple scoring opportunities for the versatile Sulaimon. He possesses the dual ability to drive to the basket and take the long-range shot, which will be critical against Kansas. In addition to this, Sulaimon will have to be very alert defensively as the Jayhawks possess a bevy of talented playmakers who will be looking to exploit any lapses. If Duke wants to make a statement against a fellow national title contender early on in the season, the Blue Devils will need Sulaimon to capitalize on his chances and stretch the defense.

Kansas: Forward Tarik Black

One of the more interesting sub-plots in this game, Black chose to transfer to Kansas over Duke this past summer and the the 6-foot-9 big man will hope to vindicate his decision with a strong performance against the Blue Devils. In addition to being an efficient scorer—he led the Conference USA in field goal percentage the last two seasons—Black will also be a constant menace around the boards. Duke's weakness is its size, and Black will try to exploit that advantage to its fullest. Defensively, Black has the ability to block shots and the quick hands to create a steal, so Duke must be careful not to show him too much of the ball. His main weakness is his free throw shooting, which was a paltry 44.8 percent last season. If the game is tight and the clock is running down Duke will certainly look to put him on the line. While much attention has been devoted to last season's top recruit Andrew Wiggins, Duke must keep on eye on Black, who has the potential to tilt this game in Kansas' favor with his combination of shooting and defense.

Share and discuss “X factor: Duke basketball vs. Kansas” on social media.