Memphis football preview

Memphis will be optimistic as it opens 2013 in the new American Athletic Conference. Second-year coach Justin Fuente managed to lead the Tigers to a 4-8 record in 2012, which was no small feat, considering the program had managed to win just five games in the previous three seasons combined.

The move to a far more competitive league could prove detrimental to a still rebuilding team.

From an offensive standpoint, Memphis is poised to see considerable change. Last season’s top wide receiver Marcus Rucker is gone and junior Keiwone Malone will have to step up and improve upon last year’s 44 receptions for 476 yards. The Tigers will also look to three redshirt freshmen in addition to two transfers to bolster their receiving corps.

The offensive line returns experienced players but will miss tackle Jordan Devey, an NFL draftee. Senior Jacob Karam and redshirt freshman Paxton Lynch are both battling for the starting quarterback spot. but as the starter last year Karam has the inside track.

Last season, Memphis had one of the top defenses in Conference USA, but the move to a stronger offensive league will test the Tigers’ defense tested. All of the defensive line will be returning, but the team could lack athleticism. Much will be expected of linebackers Charles Harris and Anthony Brown who led the team with 79 and 71 tackles, respectively.

Memphis’ greatest weapon will be its punting. There are few better at the position than senior Tom Hornsey, who punted 60 times, averaging 43.4 yards last season.

Share and discuss “Memphis football preview” on social media.