The case for Michigan State

What a difference one year can make. Last season Michigan State began the year ranked number two in the country. Yet the Spartans struggled with injuries and inconsistency and limped into the NCAA tournament as a No. 10 seed, eventually falling to UCLA in the first round.

This year’s squad wasn’t expected to do much better. After losing seniors Kalin Lucas and Durrell Summers to graduation, and junior Korie Lucious to transfer, Michigan State was not even ranked in the Top 25 to begin the season. Apparently most of the country forgot one very important rule—never underestimate Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo.

Izzo faced arguably one of his toughest challenges in rebuilding a squad that had lost three starters and essentially left him with one building block, senior Draymond Green. Yet Izzo has done a masterful job of developing a young team that coming into this season severely lacked experience. Since beginning the year 0-2 following defeats to North Carolina and Duke, the Spartans have racked up a 27-5 record while navigating the toughest conference in the nation, the Big Ten. This earned Izzo’s team a share of the conference regular season title, and after dispatching Ohio State in the final, the Big Ten tournament championship. Michigan State is the only No. 1 seed to have won its conference tournament, and ultimately has something last year’s team lacked going into the NCAA tournament—momentum.

In Draymond Green, the Spartans have a do-everything star that has carried them much of the year. The versatile forward led the team with 16.1 points per game, the conference with 10.4 rebounds per game and has even taken on the role of a point-forward at times, averaging 3.8 assists. Green is even a threat from deep, shooting 40 percent from behind the arc. Futhermore, Izzo’s efforts in developing a supporting cast around Green have paid off, allowing the Spartans to compensate for the rare off night from Green. Point guard Keith Appling has proved to be an adept floor general, averaging nearly 12 points and four assists per game while playing tenacious defense. Admittedly, the Spartans suffered a tough loss when freshman Branden Dawson went down during the Big Ten tournament with a torn ACL. But his replacement, Brandon Wood, proved his worth by scoring 21 points against the Buckeyes in the final.

Finally, Izzo is simply one of the best to ever coach in the NCAA tournament. Since taking over in 1995, Izzo has led the Spartans to six Final Fours, including two in the past three years, more than any other program. There is also this to consider—every time his team has earned a No. 1 seed, they have advanced to the Final Four. Michigan State is the closest there is to a sure thing in March, so don’t be surprised to see Green and company cutting down the nets in New Orleans. When in doubt, trust Tom Izzo.

Share and discuss “The case for Michigan State” on social media.