Editors' Note

The weather plans to turn cold tomorrow. By “cold,” we mean forecasts predict a drop to 56-degrees Fahrenheit in Durham. North Carolina routinely cushions us out of summer, remaining sultry and humid after the start of classes. But tomorrow, we will have to acknowledge that it really is September.

With that recognition, comes another. This September marks a decade since the morning that a group of terrorists executed the most devastating attack our nation has ever seen. We struggled with how to commemorate this anniversary in Towerview. In the end, we felt we had to separate them—this September and that one. Please turn this magazine over to begin reading our 9/11 commemorative issue.

Here, we begin with beginnings. Giulia Caterini has a new room for her things, and Brian Contratto has a new bike to take him through the city.

Perhaps a beginning, the men’s basketball team visited Duke’s Kunshan campus just before the start of the semester. Taylor Doherty, who joined them, shares his perspectives on the trip.

In the remaining pages, we are treated to the work of artists. Nathaniel Mackey and Connor Southard discuss the written word. Professor Pedro Lasch tells us how he chose to paint the Twin Towers in cities around the world. Allie Yee also paints—in words—the eclectic assemblage at Elsewhere, a place where art is created from unconventional, yet ordinary materials.

Enjoy. And dress warm for the fall.

Your Editors,

Christina Pena

Rachna Reddy

Share and discuss “Editors' Note” on social media.