Duke football scrimmages

Duke football simulated a variety of game situations on Tuesday night during a 60-play scrimmage.

When the Blue Devils took the field Tuesday night, though, they were missing 12 scholarship players due to injury, including back-up quarterback Brandon Connette, sophomore running back Josh Snead, and redshirt junior running back Patrick Kurunwune. Head coach David Cutcliffe cited the physicality of the team's practices as the reason for the various injuries facing the team. While Connette's shoulder injury does not appear to be serious, Snead was on crutches and Cutcliffe said that the medical staff will evaluate his ankle injury this week.

Entering the season, the Blue Devils had five healthy running backs on the rosters who saw game action in at least 10 contests last year. Senior Jay Hollingsworth returned to action Tuesday, but with his teammates Snead and Kurunwune on the sideline, only three halfbacks received reps on offense. Sophomore Juwad Thompson started the scrimmage while Hollingsworth and junior Desmond Scott also saw significant playing time. With two talented backs sidelined, it seems Duke can little afford to lose another one to injury.

Despite injuries to the running game, the Blue Devils were very efficient moving the ball through the air. Junior quarterback Sean Renfree completed 12 of his 14 passes, a large improvement upon his 60% completion percentage last season. Renfree spread the ball around evenly to his backs, receivers, and tight ends. The Blue Devils opened the game in a three wide receiver set with Conner Vernon, Donovan Varner, and Brandon Braxton split out wide. Tight end Cooper Helfet also started the game and saw extensive action both at tight end and split wide.

The only player who may have outplayed Renfree was freshman wide receiver Jamison Crowder. Crowder, who also received scholarship offers from North Carolina and Wake Forest, was recruited as a defensive back but returned kicks, punts and is working out as a wide receiver for Duke. Crowder made multiple defenders miss as he returned a punt 68 yards for a touchdown. He showed off a quick burst and showed his ability to make big plays.

Veteran wide receiver Conner Vernon raved about him. "He's made a lot of plays this camp. He's a big time playmaker and he has the ability to stretch defenses."

If the Blue Devils' opponents focus too much attention Vernon and Varner, the experienced targets, the freshman Crowder can make them pay.

Share and discuss “Duke football scrimmages” on social media.