Former two-time All-American Duke football star Art Gregory passes away

Art Gregory, a star Duke football lineman from 1960-62,  passed away on Sunday morning in his Aiken, S.C., home at the age of 71.

Gregory amassed numerous accolades during his extraordinary career for the Blue Devils, most garnering third team All-America honors in 1961 and a second team selection the following year. Twice he was presented with the Jacobs Blocking Trophy, given to the best blocker in the ACC. He was also honored as first team all-ACC in 1961 and 1962.

“Art’s honors and awards are well documented and truly deserved," Dick Havens, one of Gregory's former Duke teammates on the offensive line, told GoDuke.com. "He is a humble person and prefers to give credit to his family, coaches and teammates.  All of the recognition he received, he was grateful. His determination and desire was infectious. He was quiet in the huddle but this ability to play the game was clearly demonstrated on the line of scrimmage. But when he did speak, it was to the point and we listened.”

The Blue Devils accumulated a record of 22-8 with Gregory on the offensive line, winning three consecutive ACC titles and ending each season ranked in the top-15 nationally. Gregory was a member of the 1961 Cotton Bowl-winning squad—the last Duke football team to win a bowl game.

“Art was one of the best players and friend that a player and person could have," Mark Leggett, a running back on the 1961 team, told GoDuke.com. "His contribution to Duke football was significant and there will be few linemen to match his record.”

Gregory went on to become the executive director of the Coca Cola Bottlers Association of America. He was inducted into the Duke Hall of Fame in 1989.

Share and discuss “Former two-time All-American Duke football star Art Gregory passes away” on social media.