Penalties, turnovers not enough to halt Lewis

Duke made plenty of mistakes Saturday against Maryland, but still managed to come away with a four-point victory.

Much of the hoopla surrounding Duke’s 17-13 win over Maryland relates to the Blue Devils’ breaking a 15-year streak of ACC futility, but players and coaches did not forget the things Duke did wrong in the momentous victory.

Despite winning, the Blue Devils were were plagued by an uncharacteristically high number of turnovers and penalties. These mistakes piled up and gave Maryland the opportunity to keep the game close despite posting 145 less yards of total offensive production than Duke.

Coming into Saturday’s game, the Blue Devils averaged less than 40 penalty yards, an ACC low, but Duke was called for 12 penalties worth over 100 yards against the Terrapins. The Blue Devils were also forced into a season-high three turnovers after entering the game with an ACC-low six turnovers on the season. Maryland intercepted a pass and forced two fumbles in the red zone, including one by senior quarterback Thaddeus Lewis on the 1-yard line.

“We didn’t let anything get us down as far as the turnovers and things of that nature,” Lewis said. “We had a mentality that we were going to go out there and make a play no matter what.”

“I’m disappointed, thrilled to win, don’t get me wrong, but upset about 12 penalties and three turnovers,” head coach David Cutcliffe said. “We can’t play that way. We did so many things well. Our kids knew they were going to win that game. That is the first time since I’ve been here that they knew it when in a difficult circumstance.”

Although Lewis threw his first interception in 130 passing attempts, he still had a productive performance, throwing for 371 yards on 30-of-43 passing and two touchdowns. The Blue Devils threw on every down of the first two drives and appear to have abandoned any attempt to establish a running game, which averaged less than one yard per carry.

“We had two sacks today and they have only given up 12 all year and they throw it 50 times a game,” Maryland head coach Ralph Friedgen said. “Thaddeus Lewis is good. He might be the best guy we have seen so far.  He is definitely an NFL prospect. He plays really strong and physical and he made some big throws under pressure today. I have been impressed with him for a long time and he impressed me today.”

With the rain pouring down on the field, most teams would limit passing attempts, but Duke continued to attack the Terrapin defense through the air. Duke did attempt 28 rushes, though tha total includes scrambles under pressure from Lewis, but gained just 23 yards. Conversely, though, Cutcliffe’s strategy to stick to the air seemed to work for the Blue Devils as Lewis and the offense have seen the emergence of two young star receivers, sophomore Donovan Varner and freshman Conner Vernon.

Varner racked up 120 yards of receiving and a touchdown on eight catches while Vernon grabbed five balls for 102 yards. Both receivers have given opposing defenses the threat of the deep ball, which opens up the middle of the field for the short slant routes which seem to have become the Blue Devils’ signature attack.

“We just wanted to come out and play Duke Football,” Lewis said. “The receivers didn’t complain about the weather at all. That is one of the things I love about them; they don’t complain about the weather and they don’t complain about who catches the football. They are great football players… they are playmakers and they are so confident that they know they are playmakers. That’s what you want to see out of the receiving corps.”

Those playmakers were much needed Saturday, as the Blue Devils had to overcome an anemic rushing attack and a performance that was far from error-free. But playing to Duke’s strengths and hiding its shortcomings have become something of a trend under Cutcliffe, and that trait showed itself Saturday in one of the coach’s best wins at Duke.

Share and discuss “Penalties, turnovers not enough to halt Lewis” on social media.