RECESS  |  CULTURE

Netflix: The New Toilet Seat

There's a scene in You've Got Mail toward the end. Right before Tom Hanks' Joe Fox reveals himself to be NY152 to Kathleen Kelly.

Fox: ...and the only thing we would fight about is which video to rent on a Saturday night.

Kelly: Well, who fights about that.

Fox: Well, some people. Not us.

Kelly: We would never.

Funny as it seems, maybe Nora Ephron understands marital bliss better than the rest of us. When I was reading Michael Wilson's New York Times story about Netflix, it seemed especially true. More specifically, the story describes the online rental service is the "new trench on the frontlines of American marriage." An excerpt:

But for many couples, the queue — the computer list of which films will arrive next in the mail, after those at home are returned — is as important as everything else that spouses and other varieties of significant others share, from pet names to closet space to the bathroom. For some, this is fine. For others, the queue is the new toilet seat that somebody left up.

Not to discredit Wilson, but it seemed like a lot of column inches for a story in which spouses complain about each other's taste in movies. But maybe, 11 years after You've Got Mail, somewhere off in fantasy land, Kathleen Kelly and Joe Fox are complaining about each other's Netflix queues.

Share and discuss “Netflix: The New Toilet Seat” on social media.