Despite Snow, Game Still On

UPDATE, 1/20, 3 p.m.: UNC and N.C. State have canceled their classes, but Duke is still running smoothly and the Blue Devils' 8 p.m. game against the Wolfpack is still scheduled as planned, the University announced in a statement Tuesday afternoon.

Rain is drizzling down on Duke's campus and the snow is supposedly coming soon—but so are Sidney Lowe's Wolfpack, which come to Cameron Indoor Stadium Tuesday for an 8 p.m. game with the No. 2 Blue Devils. Will a looming winter storm affect the game? We're not sure, but there are two thing working in Duke fans' favor: Raleigh is, well, close to Durham, and the game tips later than usual and when weathermen forecast the snow will have stopped. Even if classes are cancelled (hint hint, President Brodhead), the roads may be driveable by the afternoon.We'll try to find out whether a snow day correlates to the cancellation of the basketball game as soon as we can, and we'll also get an update from Duke Athletics officials in the morning as the situation plays out.

Duke has dealt with similar weather scenarios even this year.

Hurricane Hanna threatened to hit hard in North Carolina Sept. 6 for Duke's football game with Northwestern, and the Wildcats thought about changing their travel plans from Chicago. The teams were ultimately spared when the storm didn't cause as much impact in the Triangle as some feared.

Back in December, the Blue Devils' game with Xavier in the Meadowlands was nearly thwarted when Xavier almost found itself stuck in Ohio, unable to travel because of a Midwest snow storm. The Musketeers found last-minute flights to New Jersey, though, and the game was not affected.

Share and discuss “Despite Snow, Game Still On” on social media.