6-foot-7 Bales dominates paint in defensive battle with Huskies

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The adage is as old as the sport itself-offense wins games, but defense wins championships.

Tuesday night at the Arena in Harbor Yard, top-seeded Duke survived an overtime battle with second-seeded Connecticut by playing some of its best defense of the season.

The Blue Devils managed to advance to the Final Four in spite of their lowest offensive output of the year. Entering the game as the highest scoring team in the nation, averaging 87.7 points per game, Duke shot a season-worst 29 percent from the field and scored a season-low 63 points, even with five extra minutes of basketball.

"This was probably the most beautiful, ugly win we've ever had in the history of our program," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "It was a war out there."

With its offense failing to find a rhythm, the Blue Devils relied on their defense-specifically Bridgeport Region Most Outstanding Player Alison Bales-for support.

Bales blocked eight shots and changed countless others, including Charde Houston's potentially game-tying eight-footer at the buzzer in overtime.

Bales' night, however, did not get off to an outstanding start. UConn forward Willnett Crockett scored the Huskies' first seven points-the first four on easy layups after beating Bales in the paint.

"To get scored on the first two plays of the game hurt," Bales said. "It's kind of hard for me to handle that. I don't want anybody to score against me. It's almost a personal offense when someone does."

Crockett's next field goal didn't come until late in the second half, and she scored just eight more points in the game.

Bales' eight blocks Tuesday made her the NCAA Tournament's all-time leading shot-blocker with 42. She has 21 blocks in this season's tournament, and the junior can set the single-season tournament record with two more in the Final Four.

"I have complete confidence in my defense," Bales said. "Even when someone penetrates-one of the guards gets beat on the outside-I feel like it's my job to go over and stop them. A blocked shot is really a momentum stopper for the other team because it's frustrating."

Blocking shots is nothing new to Bales. At 6-foot-7, she's learned to take advantage of her height inside without fouling.

"I've been blocking shots since I can't remember," the junior said. "I used to have a problem with [fouling]. Now, I know what I can get away with and what I can't."

With Bales behind them, Duke's guards were able to pressure UConn into 12 first-half turnovers, allowing the Blue Devils to build a five-point advantage at the intermission.

"[Bales] changes the game on both ends of the floor but specifically on defense," Goestenkors said. "It allows our guards to really pressure the ball and get up in the passing lanes. They know that if they get beat, they've got her back there to help them out."

Goestenkors went on to say that Bales' play was the deciding factor in the game. Bales added 15 points and 13 rebounds to go along with her eight blocks, giving her a double-double for the fourth time this season. She also contributed to Duke's dominating 57-35 advantage on the glass.

The center figures to play a big role in the Final Four, but for now, she is just enjoying the moment.

"It's just an amazing feeling being able to go to Boston with this group of people," Bales said. "I love everybody on the team, the coaches and staff. It's so exciting."

Share and discuss “6-foot-7 Bales dominates paint in defensive battle with Huskies” on social media.