Bringing Page to Higher Ground

This Friday, Jan. 24th, the congregation inside Page Auditorium will throw up its hands and praise the Lord to the sweet sounds of Gospel greats The Blind Boys of Alabama. Since forming at the Alabama Institute for the Negro Blind in 1939, founding members Clarence Fountain, Jimmy Carter and George Scott - along with more recent additions Joey Williams, Ricky McKinnie and Bobby Butler - have enjoyed over 60 years of success not only on the Gospel circuit, but also in the larger spheres of blues and straight-up, down-home rock and roll.

Their latest CD, Higher Ground - which has been nominated for a Grammy for Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album - features the back-up talents of Ben Harper and Leon Mobley of the Innocent Criminals, plus gospel-rock up-and-comers Robert Randolph and the Family Band. On Friday they will join forces with legendary blues harpist (that's harmonica to those of y'all who don't know) Charlie Musselwhite, who is also up for several Grammys, including Contemporary Blues Male Artist of the Year. Get ready for traditional gospel favorites peppered with innovative covers - Higher Ground covers everyone from Aretha Franklin to Prince. See y'all on the other side.

The foot-stompin' begins at 8 p.m., and student tickets are only $12. ($22 for the general public). It's a small price to pay for music that will shake your booty and save your soul.

Share and discuss “Bringing Page to Higher Ground” on social media.