Men's tennis goes 2-1 in California

The men's tennis team took two big wins and one loss in its tour of California over spring break. The No. 21 Blue Devils (5-8) swept UC-Irvine 7-0, hit a speed bump against UCLA in a 6-1 loss on their way to upending No. 6 Pepperdine 4-3.

"Pepperdine was a really good win. On the other hand, it's not like we blew out the competition either," sophomore Philip King said. "I know we're a good team, but I think we could have done better."

In a hard-fought match against Pepperdine Friday, Duke freshman Jason Zimmerman's singles victory at No. 3 clinched the win for Duke. Zimmerman defeated Calle Hansen in a match that went into a second set tiebreaker, 6-4, 7-6.

"There was only one match left and theirs was really close," King said. "[Zimmerman] really knows how to play. He almost lost the second match. There was a point when he was down in the second set, but he played two really good and smart points and just fought his way back. Nobody told him [the match was in a tie situation] because we didn't want to put pressure on him."

The rest of the Blue Devils also struggled in singles competition, with junior Michael Yani taking a loss to Stefan Suter at No. 2 that ended in a tiebreaker 6-4, 7-5. At No. 1, King defeated Al Garland 6-4, 7-5. Freshman Peter Shults fell to Johan Berg at No. 6, 7-5, 6-2. Juniors Joel Spicher and Yorke Allen defeated their opponents Diego Acuna, 6-2, 6-1 and Steve Racioppi, 6-3, 6-3 at Nos. 4 and 5, respectively.

'[Pepperdine] only had two rows and three courts, and our three courts were all winning,' King said. 'I was expecting us to be winning and then all of a sudden, I realized we were in a tie and it came down to the last match and Joel and Yorke won pretty handily.'

Against UC-Irvine Monday, the Blue Devils completely swept the singles matches and gained the doubles point with wins at Nos. 2 and 3.

There was also a change in the doubles lineup, as King and Zimmerman played at No. 1, while Yani and Shults competed at No. 2. The King/Zimmerman match was the only one Duke lost, as the pair fell to Brian Morton and Jon Endrikat, 8-4.

'At No. 1, Yani and I were doing great, but you can't win No. 1 and lose No. 2,' King said. 'So we sacrificed the one spot to try and win the two spot, but that was a disaster. We need to figure out what to do with Nos. 2 and 3 doubles because what we have is not working. I don't think Yani and I will switch [again]. We are basically set at No. 1 and we've had a lot of top-10 wins. We started off a little slow, but now we're doing well.'

UCLA swept all three doubles matches Wednesday to gain the doubles point and King lost at No. 1 singles to Tobias Clemens. After losing the first set 3-6, King forced a third set by winning the second set 6-3. Clemens won the third set in a 7-5 tiebreaker to clinch the victory.

Yani was the only other Duke player to take a win against UCLA in singles as he defeated Jean-Julien Roger in a quick match, 6-3, 6-1.

'Everybody's kind of down about UCLA,' King said. 'We didn't play that well that day.'

The men's tennis team takes the court next at Maryland Saturday.

Share and discuss “Men's tennis goes 2-1 in California” on social media.