Field hockey opens with two wins in Harrisonburg, Va.

Last season Duke field hockey failed to break into the win column until its fifth matchup. This season 10th-ranked Duke met both of its weekend opponents with a new sense of purpose and posted the Blue Devils' first shutout in a season opener since 1992.

The Blue Devils (2-0) defeated Radford and James Madison, a feat they have not accomplished since 1995. Duke shut out Radford (0-2) 2-0 Saturday and then followed with a 2-1 overtime nail-biter against James Madison.

In just her second game as a collegiate player, freshman Suzanne Simpson caught James Madison goalie Kiernan Raffo out of position in the third minute of overtime and found the back of the net for the win.

"It was really exciting," Simpson said both of her first career goal and the victory. "It's a great way to start the year."

After playing down 1-0 for just over 50 minutes, senior Liz Bateman tied the game with her twelfth career goal with 8:06 remaining in the game. Backed by senior goalie Hallie Smith's 17 saves, the Duke defense staved off James Madison's last ditch attempts to win the game as the Dukes outshot the Blue Devils 24-15 overall. NCAA rules dictate that if the score is still tied after regulation, both teams select seven players instead of the usual 11 in sudden-death overtime.

"In overtime you run on adrenaline," senior Angie North said, "because whoever gets the ball in the cage first wins the game."

A day earlier the Blue Devils opened the season wondering exactly how they would fare against Radford. In fact, the Blue Devils bested the Highlanders more than convincingly, not allowing Radford a single shot on goal.

"It felt like the ball was in their end the whole time," coach Liz Tchou said. "I almost wanted more shots on goal to get [Smith] ready for the James Madison game."

Smith proved she needed no warm-up, as did sophomore Kim Van Kirk, who scored her first-career goal against the Highlanders in the fourth minute of play. Nearly three minutes later freshman Johanna Bischof posted her first collegiate goal. Bateman again proved herself invaluable against Radford as she assisted both goals for the Blue Devils.

"James Madison is a hit-and-run type of team and they really go at you," North said. "It says a lot about our team to take them on and win."

Tchou attributed this auspicious start to a more experienced lineup, good physical conditioning, and most importantly, a lack of injuries.

"We are so excited to have 21 healthy players for the first time since I've been here," Tchou said.

The Blue Devils will attempt to remain undefeated against Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday at 1 p.m. on the East Campus Turf.

Share and discuss “Field hockey opens with two wins in Harrisonburg, Va.” on social media.