Hey You! Its XDU!

WXDU brings the local rock back to Duke this Saturday at the Coffeehouse on East Campus when it hosts five local bands for its annual benefit show. The show is a continuation of WXDU's fall tradition of concerts showcasing local musicians in an effort to raise money for the on-campus radio station. According to Karen Cirillo, a promoter for WXDU, the show is intended, "to raise awareness of WXDU. It's also to raise money toward an antenna fund that will hopefully one day allow us to improve our signal so that it can actually be heard on campus and its surroundings."

The show will begin with a set by Malt Swagger, an instrumental rock band with a tinge of a western vibe. Their music is somewhat cinematic, with blends of both heavy and mellow sounds. Malt Swagger will be followed by indie rock band Clok Lok, a group that features an eclectic blend of soft melodies and both male and female vocalists.

Followed by Clock Lox is Cantwell, Gomez and Jordan, whose loud rock sound is driven by the unique lead vocals of WXDU DJ Anne Gomez and Dave Cantwell's drums. Rounding out the show is Pine State, an alt.country rock band known for their rowdy on-stage antics. Pine State broke up in 1996, then got back together to perform at WXDU's benefit show in 1997. The group will come together once again for Saturday's show in a much-anticipated reunion. Rumor has it their past acts have involved a gimp and electrical equipment-sure to make for a good time no matter what their music sounds like. DJ Courtney C will also be on hand to keep things flowing in between acts.

So, what can you expect from Saturday's show? According to Cirillo, "It will be a great show, since we have such great bands playing. But one can never tell with Pine State. All I can say is come. You won't be disappointed."

The show starts at 9:30 PM, and admission is $5. For more information, visit WXDU's website at www.wxdu.duke.edu

Share and discuss “Hey You! Its XDU!” on social media.