Can You Please The Red Snapper?

On Our Aim Is To Satisfy Red Snapper, Red Snapper shoot from the hip with a fusion of jazz, trance, dance, funk, rock, blues and psychedelia that doesn't sit quite right no matter how many times you listen. The songs meld the different elements into something that sounds like jazz at times, but with all the premeditated precision of trance and hip-hop and none of the improvisation usually found in electronic variations of jazz. MC Det and Karime Kendra lend solid-enough vocals to the music, though it's virtually undistinguishable from the earthy-breathy female vocal thing that's running rampant through trance and house music today.

Although the tension-filled tracks are sometimes weighed down by their own complexity, there are a few standouts. In "The Rough and the Quick," professional female wrestler Karamie Kendra provides explicit instructions on performing cunnilingus ("Rub a little bit of your spit-that's it!-that's it!-that's it!"). And the reggae-techno union conjured on "I Stole Your Car" is so smooth it almost makes you forgive DJ Skribble for all of those bad Marley remixes.

Red Snapper's heavily-dubbed jazz-techno sound is refreshing because it doesn't sound like most of the electronically-influenced jazz out there. But don't expect the trio to fulfill its self-professed goal of satisfying the "red snapper" (reportedly a euphemism for a woman's private parts)-there are just too many flavors getting in the way of true satisfaction.

Share and discuss “Can You Please The Red Snapper?” on social media.