Swimming team pleased with improvement in loss to Cavs

Extensive training during the winter break paid dividends for both the women's and men's swim teams, as they showed marked improvement in their first meet of the semester against Virginia.

But despite their performance, both teams fell to the Cavaliers on Friday at the Duke Aquatic Center. The Blue Devil men's team fell to the Cavaliers, 169-84, while the women lost 143-115. The losses brought the men's team to a 1-7 overall record and the women dropped to 3-5 overall. Both teams have yet to win in the ACC.

After a month-long layoff from competition, the Blue Devils were facing a tough challenge against Virginia. Despite the losses, head coach Bob Thompson was encouraged by the team's performance.

"This was a meet that we really needed because we haven't competed since early December, and we really didn't know where we stood," Thompson said. "A team like Virginia outclasses us severely, but I am really pleased with both our teams because we were competitive in most of the events."

Several swimmers turned in outstanding performances. In the women's competition, the Blue Devils had four winners, led by Amy Armond. The senior was victorious in the 400-yard individual medley in 4:23.28, while her swim of 5:01.88 in the 500-yard freestyle gave Armond her second victory of the meet. Her time in the individual medley was her fastest of the season and was well under the NCAA qualifying time.

"I'm just really excited because it is my best time ever," Armond said. "My performance has given me a lot of confidence about trying to be in the top three [at the ACC Meet]."

Thompson was just as pleased with Armond's performance.

"She has taken us to another level and given us validity, despite not being a scholarship program, that if we really want it bad enough we can attain it," he said.

Freshman Anna Carollo swam to a first-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 59.72, while sophomore diver Kristy Guenther was victorious in the three-meter competition with a score of 213.5.

Although the men's team was not as successful as the women's team, seniors Chris Wise and Mark Rotblat were able to come away with victories in their respective events. Wise, the school record-holder in the 1650-yard and 1,000-yard freestyle, posted a winning time of 16:22.12 in the 1650 freestyle. Rotblat won the 200 breaststroke in 2:09.95.

"Wise had a disappointing time last year at the ACC Tournament so this will give him a lot of confidence," Thompson said.

Thompson attributes the improvement in both teams' performances in Friday's meet to their extensive training during winter break in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

The Blue Devils will have to rebound quickly from their loss as they will have to go on the road this Saturday to face William & Mary.

Share and discuss “Swimming team pleased with improvement in loss to Cavs” on social media.