Duke stays at home to host Temple Saturday

Playing in Philadelphia, Temple's women's basketball team is often overshadowed by other sports in the city sports scene. Yearning to be noticed by the local media, the Owls (4-3) will get their chance this Saturday when they go against the 16th-ranked Blue Devils (6-4) at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

The all-around game of Owl guard Nicole Chaszar will be the primary focus for Duke's defense. Chaszar leads her team in scoring and is among the league leaders in the Atlantic 10, averaging 12.8 points per game. She also is second on her team in rebounds and assists.

Temple, however, has not solely relied on Chaszar-forwards Dawn Ingram and Kim Martin are also averaging in double digits.

Although Temple has talented perimeter players, the Owls have struggled against bigger teams due to their lack of size. The Owls' starting lineup only has one six-foot player. Duke, on the other hand, will rely on the inside game of 6-6 Michele VanGorp to give the Blue Devils a definite advantage in the post.

As was the case in victories against Hampton and Florida State, Duke's ability to take advantage of its size will be a key factor against Temple. With only eight points in limited time against Hampton, VanGorp had a statistically subpar game, well below her 15.8 points per game average.

Another important test for the Blue Devils will be Temple's press. The Blue Devil backcourt could be tested, as the Owls are forcing over 23 turnovers a game. Chaszar and Martin are among the league leaders in steals in the Atlantic 10, averaging 3.5 and 2.6 steals per game, respectively.

The backcourt matchup may be difficult for a Duke team that has been struggling from the three-point arc. The Blue Devils are collectively shooting 32 percent as a team from three-point range and made only 4-of-15 three pointers against Hampton.

Despite their shooting woes, Duke has rebounded from a tough early schedule to win five of its last six games. The Blue Devils' only loss in that stretch came against No. 3 Tennessee last weekend.

"We're finally starting to feel confident with ourselves," Goestenkors said. "As a team we're improving bit by bit."

The Owls, on the other hand, have played a relatively soft schedule. The Blue Devils will be Temple's first ranked opponent of the season.

Share and discuss “Duke stays at home to host Temple Saturday” on social media.