Volleyball stays close, drops three matches over fall break

Perhaps the most consistent thing about this year's volleyball team has been its inconsistency.

Duke (6-11, 1-6) suffered its sixth consecutive loss last night, 3-1, at the hands of arch-rival North Carolina (18-3, 7-0). The 24th-ranked Tar Heels dominated the Blue Devils for most of the night on their way to a 14-16, 15-8, 15-5, 15-10 victory.

There were some bright spots, however, for the struggling Blue Devils. After UNC jumped out to a 12-7 lead in the first game, Duke called a timeout that seemed to help them regain some momentum. This proved crucial as Duke came back to win the game, 16-14.

"I just thought we did a great job of sticking to it and fighting and getting after it," said coach Linda Grensing.

The Blue Devils seemed to fade away after that game, dropping the next two. After opening the second game in a 2-10 hole, Duke battled back to 7-13. It wasn't enough, however, as Carolina held on for a 15-8 win. The Tar Heels went on to win 10 straight points at the start of the third game en route to a 15-5 victory.

"In games two and three we let down a little," Grensing said. "We let some things get to us and backed away from it."

Duke played well for most of the fourth game, which seesawed back and forth until the two teams were tied at eight, but couldn't hold on against the deeper Tar Heels.

The Blue Devils were led by junior outside hitter Sarah Peifer, who had 16 kills and 18 digs. Sophomore setter Nina Ryback racked up 56 assists.

Duke's two weekend matches both ended disappointingly in five games. Clemson defeated the Blue Devils Friday night, 15-8, 14-16, 15-4, 5-15, 15-11, and Georgia Tech gave head coach Shelton Collier her 500th career win in a 15-4, 15-9, 10-15, 13-15, 15-12 win.

Against the Tigers, Duke rallied from a 4-10 deficit in the second game and crushed Clemson in the fourth, but the Tigers recorded a .361 hitting percentage in the fifth and deciding game to put the Blue Devils away.

Duke had a similar opportunity with the Yellow Jackets, and the score was tied five times in the fifth game, but in the end, the Blue Devils lost another five-game match.

Duke returns to the court on Friday at 7:30 pm, when it hosts N.C. State.

Share and discuss “Volleyball stays close, drops three matches over fall break” on social media.