The Chronicle’s guide to residence hall move out

As the academic year comes to a close, here are the key dates, details and resources that students need to know before move-out.

Campus residence halls and apartments will close May 6 at noon. Students with extended housing approval and graduating seniors will be able to stay for one extra week until May 13 at noon. 

After this date, students approved to live on campus for the summer will move to their assigned summer living arrangements. Move-in for students on campus for summer term 1 classes begins at 3 p.m. on May 14.

Students who wish to apply for extended housing until May 13 can do so through the spring 2024 extension housing form on the Housing Portal. Requests through this form will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting April 15. Approval is not guaranteed. Students who are approved for extended housing may have to relocate to a different location on campus.

More information on housing extensions and dates is available on the Housing and Residence Life website.

Students should leave all original furniture in the room at move-out and vacate the room of all personal items and student-owned furniture. Residents will be charged for damages to University-owned furniture and to the room that occurred during their stay.

In past years, donation and recycling bins have been placed in residence hall common rooms during move-out.

Storage options

Local storage units and moving and storage companies that service Duke’s campus are available to students who wish to store their belongings in Durham over the summer. Moving and storage services include University Shipping & Storage and Storage Scholars, both of which will pick boxes up from students’ dorm rooms and deliver them back to the student in the fall. 

Storage Scholars can also ship belongings back to a student’s home, and University Shipping & Storage can deliver students’ belongings anywhere along the East Coast north of Durham. University Shipping & Storage can also store boxes during the fall semester for students studying abroad instead of returning to campus.

Local storage units include: 

• Public Storage (3600 Kangaroo Dr.)
  • SecurCare Self Storage (3472 Hillsborough Rd.)
  • Ample Storage (4400 Hillsborough Rd.)
  • Life Storage (4417 Hillsborough Rd.)
  • Extra Space Storage (903 Lambeth Cir.)

Holly Keegan profile
Holly Keegan | University News Editor

Holly Keegan is a Trinity sophomore and a university news editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle’s guide to residence hall move out” on social media.