Here's what to know about residence hall move-out

As the end of the semester approaches, here are the key dates, details and resources that students can use in the move-out process. 

All residence halls and apartments will close on May 8 at 12 p.m. Only students who are approved for extended housing may stay in their residence hall until May 15 at 12 p.m.

If students need to remain on campus past the May 8 move out date, they must submit the spring housing extension form through the housing portal. HRL will review extension requests starting on April 17. Extension requests are not guaranteed to be approved. If extensions are approved, students may be required to relocate to a different room on campus. 

For more information on housing extensions is available on the HRL website.

Students who are enrolled for summer Term 1 classes may request a housing extension, but will need to move into their summer residence hall starting on May 16 at 3 p.m. 

Students should vacate their room of all personal belongings and leave original furniture in the room. For all unwanted items that can be donated, each residence hall common room will include donation and recycling boxes. 

Storage options

Students looking to store items in Durham over the summer can choose from local storage units and storage and moving companies which service Duke, including University Shipping and Storage and Storage Scholars. These services directly pick up all boxes from the student’s room at a selected time and can drop boxes back off in August for the fall semester.

Local storage units include: 

• Public Storage (3600 Kangaroo Dr.)
  • SecurCare Self Storage (3472 Hillsborough Rd.)
  • Life Storage (4417 Hillsborough Rd.)
  • Extra Space Storage (903 Lambeth Cir.)

Amy Guan | Senior Editor

Amy Guan is a Pratt senior and a senior editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Here's what to know about residence hall move-out” on social media.