Duke men's basketball forward Sean Stewart to enter transfer portal

Sean Stewart rises for a dunk against Louisville.

In a largely unexpected announcement Friday afternoon, freshman forward Sean Stewart announced on Instagram that he plans to enter the transfer portal and leave Duke after just one year with the program.

Stewart’s time with the Blue Devils was probably not what the Montverde Academy product had envisioned when he committed to Duke in late 2021. The Windemere, Fla., native averaged only 8.4 minutes, 2.6 points, and 3.2 rebounds per game in 33 appearances. 

That being said, Stewart’s impact increased significantly as the season progressed. Despite regularly coming off the bench, the 2023 four-star recruit showcased his unbelievable athleticism and physical gifts every time he stepped onto the court, amassing perhaps the most jaw-dropping highlights of any player on the team. Stewart’s best performance came in the Blue Devils’ first encounter with N.C. State, in which the 6-foot-9 forward played a season high 26 minutes, putting up 12 points, five rebounds and three blocks. 

Stewart’s departure comes as a major surprise also because of his long-lasting connection with Duke. However, head coach Jon Scheyer’s incoming recruiting class is loaded with talent in the frontcourt, led by consensus No. 1 overall recruit Cooper Flagg, so it makes sense that Stewart may have wanted a better shot at seeing more consistent minutes on the court.

He is the seventh player to transfer from the Blue Devils after fellow freshman forward TJ Power announced his departure Thursday. 

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball forward Sean Stewart to enter transfer portal ” on social media.