Duke men's basketball 2023-24 player review: Mark Mitchell

Sophomore forward Mark Mitchell attacks the rim in Duke's game against Vermont.

As the Blue Devils’ season comes to an end, the Blue Zone is here to break down every player’s performance this year, and compare it to our preseason predictions. We already looked at TJ Power, Sean Stewart, Jaylen Blakes, Ryan Young, Caleb Foster and Tyrese Proctor. Next up is Mark Mitchell: 

Mark Mitchell

Year: Sophomore 

Height: 6-foot-9

Position: Forward 

This year’s stat line: 28.5 MPG, 11.6 PPG, 5.9 RPG

The Blue Zone’s projected stat line: 25.7 MPG, 9.4 PPG, 4.6 RPG

Season breakdown: Coming into his sophomore season, starting forward Mark Mitchell was a driving force for the Blue Devils, as he provided much-needed aggression as a defender, rebounder and inside scorer. With the loss of forward Dariq Whitehead and the post-presence of Dereck Lively II to the NBA Draft, the Kansas City, Kan., native saw an increase in minutes, rebounds and points this season. Mitchell became a dynamic X-Factor whose athleticism and defensive versatility determined a number of Duke’s successes.

During the season, Mitchell had multiple explosive scoring bursts, dropping 20 against Bucknell, 21 against Syracuse, 23 against Notre Dame and matching his career-high of 23 against Wake Forest. In the game against the Fighting Irish, Mitchell scored 16-straight points, asserting his will on both ends and powering the Blue Devils to a much-needed win. 

Results relative to expectations: During the 2023-24 season, the power forward expanded his role as the defensive rock of the team, while sporadically providing scoring in valuable situations. Despite the arrival of freshmen Sean Stewart and TJ Power in the frontcourt, Mitchell saw his minutes expanded and only missed one start due to injury. Shifting to more of an interior role, the Sunrise Christian product saw his scoring opportunities shift to the paint and the free-throw line while finding rare moments at the 3-point line to contribute.

However, Duke will be without the talented lefthander next season, as Mitchell recently entered his name into the transfer portal. His clear contributions to the Blue Devils will make him a coveted prospect for teams across the country, and he will have numerous options for the 2024-25 season. 

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2023-24 player review: Mark Mitchell” on social media.