Duke men's basketball 2023-24 player review: Caleb Foster

Caleb Foster shoots a three in Duke's loss to Wake Forest

As the Blue Devils’ season comes to an end, the Blue Zone is here to break down every player’s performance this year, and compare it to our preseason predictions. We already looked at TJ Power, Sean Stewart, Jaylen Blakes and Ryan Young. Next up is Caleb Foster:

Caleb Foster

Year:  Freshman

Height: 6-foot-5

Position: Guard

This year’s stat line: 25.4 MPG, 7.7 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 2.1 APG,

The Blue Zone’s projected stats: 17.3 MPG, 6.5 PPG, 1.8 RPG, 1.8 APG

Season breakdown: Caleb Foster found comfort working as head coach Jon Scheyer’s go-to sixth man throughout the 2023-24 season. Whenever sophomore guard Tyrese Proctor stepped off the court, Foster emerged as the Blue Devils’ primary ball-handler and as a threatening outside scorer. The role suited him well: The 6-foot-5 guard posted a strong 2.0 assist-to-turnover ratio and shot at a 40.6% clip from beyond the arc. However, Foster often struggled to score efficiently at the rim, converting on an unimpressive 58.3% of his attempts near the basket. 

Foster’s start to the season best showcased his offensive potential. The freshman dropped 15 points on 60% shooting from the field in his regular season debut against Dartmouth, before following up that performance with an explosive night against Michigan State in the Champion’s Classic. Despite only scoring two points in the first half, Foster ended the game with a team-high 18 points earned primarily on his 4-of-5 effort shooting from three. Later in the season, the Harrisburg, N.C., native took on a heavier burden, being thrust into the starting lineup in the wake of Proctor’s injuries. Overall, Foster started 15 games, in which Duke accumulated a 13-2 record, before suffering a season-ending stress fracture of his own during the Blue Devils’ loss at Wake Forest. The 19-year old may not have been Duke’s best on-ball defender or passer, but still found ways to impact the game as a scoring threat. 

Results relative to expectations: Blue Devil fans always expected Foster to come off the bench, provide depth in the team’s guard-heavy rotation and serve as a secondary ball-handler. The former five-star recruit excelled in this role, leveraging his efficient shooting from deep and crafty handles to consistently pose a threat with the ball in his hands. His absence throughout the postseason was sorely felt, putting a dent in Duke’s rotation and limiting their offensive potential. Though his exact role will depend on the imminent decisions of the guard pieces surrounding him, Scheyer’s incoming recruiting class features primarily off-ball guards. So, if Foster chooses to return and continues to improve, he will be a strong candidate to earn the starting point guard spot in next season’s squad. 

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2023-24 player review: Caleb Foster” on social media.