RECESS  |  CAMPUS

What are Duke students’ favorite spots to eat on campus?

With Duke Dining ranked first in the country in 2016 and 2017, there is no shortage of spots for good food on campus. The Chronicle asked 22 students about which campus eatery they thought was the best. 

The most popular spot among those interviewed was Ginger & Soy, followed by Farmstead and Sprout. Panera, Pitchfork’s, Gyotaku and The Devil’s Krafthouse tied for third. 

The top two 

Ginger & Soy claimed the top spot among students, with many quick to identify the restaurant featuring cuisine from East and Southeast Asia as their clear favorite. 

“It just hits every single time,” first-year Christina Zhang said. 

In its rice bowl section, Ginger & Soy offers a wide range of topping choices, which are paired with either poke or cooked protein. Students can also try the restaurant’s pad thai, ramen, dumpling and curry offerings. 

When asked why Ginger & Soy was his favorite, first-year Blake Backes said that he “fiend[s] over the spicy tuna poke bowl.” 

This love of Ginger & Soy spans all four class years. Senior Mira Polishook praised the restaurant’s food, “specifically [its] non-meat protein options.” 

Farmstead and Sprout, which specializes in classic food with a healthy twist, claimed the second top choice among students. Sprout complements Farmstead’s cuisine as an entirely vegetarian restaurant that it shares the counter with. 

Tied for third 

Four restaurants tied for third place: Panera, Pitchfork’s, Gyotaku and Krafthouse. 

Panera, located on the bottom floor of the Brodhead Center, is a nationwide restaurant chain that offers quick meals and a variety of pastries. 

First-year Elle Commerce put Panera as her top choice, noting that she “love[s] their chicken Caesar salad.” First-year Wesley Caldwell, who also preferred Panera, complimented the chain restaurant’s cinnamon rolls. 

Duke Student Affairs describes Pitchfork’s as a “diner-style menu,” which includes breakfast and other food options ranging from red curry chicken to banh mi to vegetable samosas. Complimented for its convenience, Pitchfork’s stays open until 3:30 a.m. Monday through Saturday.

Gyotaku offers made-to-order and pre-made sushi rolls and sashimi bowls in the Brodhead Center using fresh ingredients. 

“[The sushi is] really good, especially for it being a college campus,” first-year Laila Reed said. 

Deemed the “campus center pub” by the Duke Student Affairs website, Krafthouse serves pub-style food and has comfortable booth seating and TVs showing live sports games. Junior Reesey du Pont described Krafthouse as having “really good breakfast bowls” and that “it’s just an amazing place.”

Sophie Endrud

Sophie Endrud is a Trinity first-year and a staff reporter for the news department.  

Grace Ghoorah

Grace Ghoorah is a Trinity first-year and a staff reporter for the news department.      

Share and discuss “What are Duke students’ favorite spots to eat on campus? ” on social media.