Former Duke baseball announcer Chris Edwards leaves East Carolina for 'academic inconsistencies' on resume

Chris Edwards was Duke's play-by-play baseball announcer until July 2021.

Chris Edwards, a longtime play-by-play announcer for Duke baseball, has left his new position with East Carolina just a week into his tenure effective immediately, he announced Friday in a written statement on Twitter.

The reason for his departure had to do with inconsistencies on his resume, including "some misleading information regarding [his] academic accomplishments," according to the statement. "Attending East Carolina University was a dream of mine, and I still have remaining hours to complete my degree," he wrote.

During his time as a broadcaster for the Blue Devils, Edwards' voice rang loud amid some of the program's greatest accomplishments in recent memory. The team's Twitter account recently highlighted the top 10 calls of his career after leaving Durham, including his commentary from Duke's first-ever ACC tournament win in 2021 and trip to the 2023 NCAA Super Regional. 

On July 21, Duke confirmed Edwards' departure to join PlayFly, East Carolina's multimedia rights partner, as the director of broadcasting for the East Carolina Sports Network.

"I want to apologize to PlayFly and general manager Clay Walker, ECU Director of Athletics Jon Gilbert and his staff and the search committee for any damage I have caused to a university I love dearly," Edwards wrote. "PlayFly and I have decided the best decision is for us to part ways effective immediately. I hope Pirate Nation and all parties involved will accept my sincere apology as we move forward."

Duke declined to answer The Chronicle's request for comment. PlayFly did not immediately return it.

This is a developing story. Check back here for updates.

Andrew Long profile
Andrew Long | Sports Editor

Andrew Long is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Former Duke baseball announcer Chris Edwards leaves East Carolina for 'academic inconsistencies' on resume” on social media.