Democrat Valerie Foushee wins 4th Congressional District, NC to send 7 Democrats, 7 Republicans to U.S. House

Democrat Valerie Foushee is projected to win her election to represent North Carolina’s 4th Congressional District, which includes Durham County, Orange County, Person County, Granville County, Alamance County and parts of Caswell County. She will succeed U.S. Rep. David Price, who announced in October 2021 that he will retire at the end of his term. 

Foushee, a state senator in North Carolina for District 23, defeated Republican opponent Courtney Geels 66.7% to 33.3% with 95%+ of the votes in. Some of Foushee’s top priorities are to codify Roe v. Wade, protect voting rights and reform the healthcare system. Before becoming a state senator, Foushee worked as an administrator with the Chapel Hill Police Department, served as the first Black female elected to the Orange County Board of Commissioners, was on the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School Board and also held various administrative positions with insurance and research companies. 

Elsewhere in the state, Democrats Deborah Ross, Alma Adams, Jeff Jackson, Don Davis, Kathy Manning and Wiley Nickel had races called in their favor by the Associated Press. The AP also called elections for Republicans Greg Murphy, Virginia Foxx, Dan Bishop, Chuck Edwards, David Rouzer, Patrick McHenry and Richard Hudson. 

North Carolina’s U.S. House representatives will be split evenly between parties with seven Democrats and seven Republicans. The current split is eight Republicans and five Democrats.

This is the first time North Carolina will have 14 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives. The state picked up one more seat following the 2020 Census. These elections also come after a tumultuous redistricting process which saw multiple rounds of proposed congressional maps rejected by the courts. Ultimately, a map drawn by nonpartisan redistricting experts that gave both Republicans and Democrats six safe House seats and left the remaining two seats as tossups was accepted.

Audrey Wang profile
Audrey Wang | Data Editor

Audrey Wang is a Trinity junior and data editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 119.

Jazper Lu profile
Jazper Lu | Managing Editor

Jazper Lu is a Trinity junior and managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Democrat Valerie Foushee wins 4th Congressional District, NC to send 7 Democrats, 7 Republicans to U.S. House” on social media.