Syracuse’s Buddy Boeheim suspended one game ahead of ACC men’s basketball tournament matchup against Duke

Syracuse guard Buddy Boeheim will miss Thursday's ACC tournament quarterfinal against Duke.

Syracuse star guard Buddy Boeheim has been suspended one game after hitting Florida State guard Wyatt Wilkes during the first half of Wednesday’s second-round matchup at the ACC tournament, the conference announced Wednesday evening. With the suspension, Boeheim will miss Syracuse’s quarterfinal matchup Thursday against Duke.

Following a 3-pointer that put the Orange ahead 25-10 on their way to a 96-57 win in Brooklyn, N.Y., Boeheim turned toward the opposite end of the court and connected with Wilkes’ stomach. While no foul was called on Boeheim—who scored 14 points Wednesday against the Seminoles—the senior guard released an apology following the game.

“In the heat of today’s game, after some shoving in the lane, I swung my arm while turning to go back up the court,” Boeheim said via the team Twitter. “It was wrong to act out in frustration. I apologized to Wyatt Wilkes multiple times in the handshake line. He said not to worry about it, but I know it was wrong. I pride myself in respecting the game and our opponent. I will not react that way again.”

Boeheim, a recent First-Team All-ACC selection, averages 19.3 points per game and scored 23 points in a 97-72 loss to Duke Feb. 26. The Blue Devils defeated the Orange twice in the regular season by an average of 22.5 points per game.

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Syracuse’s Buddy Boeheim suspended one game ahead of ACC men’s basketball tournament matchup against Duke” on social media.